Bush pilots emergency pack

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Bush pilots emergency pack

Post by Driving Rain »

Fly dope for spring and summer. Don't put it near the tea bags. Ask me how I know :shock:
---------- ADS -----------

BigWillyStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BigWillyStyle »

Driving Rain wrote:Fly dope for spring and summer. Don't put it near the tea bags. Ask me how I know :shock:
Yikes. That would suck. But good point, bug dope and/or jacket is a given.

I got out of aviation so I could afford a yacht big enough to pull up beside Doc's!
bernoulliboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bernoulliboy »

awitzke wrote:Well you can't carry a restricted firearm in the bush, so my vote is a shotgun with bird shot, then two buck shot and finally a slug if you haven't scared it off yet.
Why would you try to "scare" a bear off with birdshot ? You need to wake up and realize that if a bear is nosing around your camp or wherever you are, he's not going to "scare". If you have a shot gun then use slugs. A 45-70 is better bear repellent. Give him a warning shot between the eyes then one in the air.

Good Luck.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

You ll want to get rescued, so a spot or a delorme. Then you ll want a fire, so a lighter and good firestarter like zip. Then put up the orange tarp with that rope. Next you ll want a powerbar or better yet a couple freeze dried meals.

Chances are good you would bet there overnight, so you will want to be wearing clothes you can sit around outside in and not get cold, and you ll want a sleeping bag.

At this point you ll want to check the spot is working.

You should always have the leatherman. I don't know how anyone lives without one.

The trouble with all this is that you do need to have it on your person or there's a good chance you won't be able to get to it if you crash. Therefore it has to be very compact or it ll get tossed in the back like mine. Kinda rules out items like a gun, book, 26 of scotch.

I say have the spot, lighter, leatherman, and some food in the warm clothes you re wearing. Then have all the other good stuff in your flight bag or in the back.

Don't forget the spot. Everyone worries about a bear eating them of all things. I'd be mostly worried about getting found.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

awitzke wrote: I also got a bit of dried food from MEC that should last a long time.
A good thing to do here is get somethings you would actually like to eat. Once or twice a year, eat it and replace. Then you know if you ever have to use it you won't be opening a package of dirt.

Also using the fire starting stuff to start fires and keeping it fresh is probably a good idea.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

If you are flying commercially then your employer will maintain a survival kit in the plane that should contain all the basics like food, snare wire, mirror, fishing tackle first aid supplies and a bunch of other stuff. It really depends on when/where you are. I always carry a lighter on my person.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

I also carried a Leatherman "wave" on my belt...saved my life once too!

bnot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bnot »

If you want to get a feel of what it would be like to use that kit then try this read.
Into the Abyss: How a Deadly Plane Crash Changed the Lives of a Pilot, a Politician, a Criminal and a Cop
by Carol Shaben (Goodreads Author)
This account will give you a real impression of what you need to pack.
bnot
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1333 ... -the-abyss

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

180 wrote:I also carried a Leatherman "wave" on my belt...saved my life once too!

There are so many different leatherman versions. So far I'm liking the wave and the rebar.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/leath ... L3jty4mm88

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/leath ... L3jui4mm88

Looks like the rebar has a few more blades. Maybe overkill?

BigWillyStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BigWillyStyle »

The one disadvantage that I have noticed with the Leatherman products is that when you use the pliers, the metal edges dig into your hand. That's why my current tool of choice is the Gerber. That said, a cheap pair of gloves solves the problem. Personal preference, I reckon.

I got out of aviation so I could afford a yacht big enough to pull up beside Doc's!
C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

I currently sport the Leatherman Rebar and use it multiple times a day. Whether a 'Leatherman' or 'Gerber' I can't stress enough how useful a 'multi'tool' is. I also spray painted fluorescent orange on mine to make it high visibility. Came in handy one day as sure enough it got kicked off the float and could be seen right there on the bottom.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

As someone previously mentioned, put all that stuff in something that floats - especially if you're ON floats.

A few years back I bought one of those soft-sided coolers from LL Bean. Guaranteed to float with that foam insulation and it is bright orange in colour. Electronic devices in zip-lock bags in the cooler and smaller survival stuff in the pockets of an inflatable vest PFD. The cooler is kept within reach beside my seat in case I have to bail in a hurry.

The cooler is not a back-pack but you probably won't be in the mood to do much hiking anyway!

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

check out http://www.vsslgear.com
A Canadian company, it has some cool, small survival packs that could fit into a (big) pocket.
That and a multitool of some sort and you would probably do OK.

INVERTEDAV8R
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by INVERTEDAV8R »

I carry a SPOT messenger. Saved my but twice now.

This is just off the top of my head and there are some great lists on the Google.
First aid kit, snare wire, bug jacket, fishing kit, cards, knife/multi tool, dried food, flint and steel, cotton balls soaked in Vaseline (wicked fire starter and water proof), heavy orange garbage bags, thermal blanket, flare gun, small axe, rope and a survival book. I like the SAS guide personally. Also, didn't see anyone mention the Life Straw. It processes 1000L of water and runs for about $20, you can't beat that.

Something else that should always be considered is dressing for the occasion. I think of what I'm wearing as part of my survival kit. I never wear shorts and sandles when flying, even with the big boys. I always have a jacket or hooded sweater and proper footwear with me regardless of the weather. In my opinion there's nowhere in Canada you can go a night without having to cover up, even in July. I recently had a forced landing 5 miles from the nearest farm house and without good hikers and long pants I would have sustained more damage walking out than I sustained from the landing. Dress for success is what I like to say...

Then there is the ongoing gun debate...I don't typically carry a gun but if you really wanted to, you can't beat the versatility of a shot gun. Either a 12 or 20ga and some 4 shot for small game and a couple of slugs for protection, all be it very rare you'd ever need it for that reason. Although when it's not too combursome, I do carry when spending time in heavy grizzly or polar bear territory, mostly for comfort. But in the high arctic I was taught you'd be crazy not to have some sort of bear gun. In that case I like my trusty Marlin 45-70. It's short/compact, reliable, cycles fast, has relatively little kick and packs a nasty punch. Its like a shotgun on steroids. There are ways to get a restricted carry permit but I don't think it's worth it for the hassle. The last thing I need to worry about on a day to day basis is keeping tabs on a pistol, especially with some of the yahoos that I run into...

Thats my two cents on the subject. A first aid kit and all the survival gear you can reasonably fit is what EVERY aircraft should carry regardless of location. Check it over every year or so to make sure some starving pilot hasn't raided all the food;) Be prepared and hope you never need to use any of this stuff.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I don't understand how any pilot can do without a "leatherman" or equivalent (other than guys who get shaken down at security-keep fighting, brothers!) and also I can advise you to think of a novel you have always wanted to read, "War & Peace" or "Dune", whatever, put it in your bag and don't read it. The only time I was ever in a "survival" situation I was able to make a fire and had lots of food but I almost died of boredom sitting there reading and re-reading the flight manual. Luckily the Beaver I was in had lots of supplements but still... ask me anything about the DHC-2... ANYTHING.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

BigWillyStyle wrote:The one disadvantage that I have noticed with the Leatherman products is that when you use the pliers, the metal edges dig into your hand. That's why my current tool of choice is the Gerber. That said, a cheap pair of gloves solves the problem. Personal preference, I reckon.
In my experience, the leatherman is the better quality tool. All the gerbers I've had, didn't last long, their blades aren't made of as good quality steel. They don't hold an edge and are way more brittle. Several have snapped off blades and screwdriver tips if they're dropped on a hard surface. I find the pliers, while maybe not great for heavy use due to the above, are a better mechanism for not jamming up on you, and the blades have a better not-fold-onto-your-fingers set up - which is probably the most critical feature if you have to survive, things get a lot tougher if you injure yourself.

If I have to choose though, I'd rather make sure I have an axe. Though I wouldn't recommend one for lots of people since they're more likely to hurt themselves with one.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

Two Spots, one tracking the aircraft and the other in my pocket. If I have a passenger it goes into his pocket after I show him how to use it. Practise starting a fire, Leatherman and flint - cheaters can put a Bic in their pocket. Mosquito head net. Dress for the occasion. What you are wearing and in your pockets is what you should expect to end up with :mrgreen:
Short handle axe. Gun? Heavy and awkward, though I know some Timber Cruisers with restricted category .44, and no I could never figure out how they got them. Company aircraft I flew had pistol-grip shotguns or old rusty .303 with the big clip. I like the 45-70 "copilot" takedown, but too expensive to trash around in the back of my plane. I've never worried about landing remote and hiking around, but maybe with the increase in cougar/wolves/black bear as the rural population decreases I should rethink it.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Interesting thread. I have to put together a kit for my plane, since I plan on many fishing trips up north in the near future! I'd add a couple of road flares to the kit. Only need one or two. Lifesavers for starting fires, good for signalling too. If you want a gun, then a 12 Gauge with the shortest legal barrel you can get with birdshot and some slugs (just in case) would do. Some spare batteries for whatever you have. LED flashlights last forever now. Bug jacket and dope for sure. A small fishing gear kit maybe (small box with line, a few lures and hooks).

A SPOT for sure, be dumb to fly up north now-a-days without one. If you can swing it get a satellite phone. There are some now where you just buy the phone with no monthly charge, just usage so it can sit in the back forever and not cost you a dime! The 10$ a minute they will charge you for a call will seem cheap when you call for help! :)

Guess it depends on how far you go and where and how much room you got I guess! :rolleyes:

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

Pack an iPad loaded with MacGyver episodes, and this.....

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

Just my two cents after using the SPOT people have mentioned, sat phones and now the inReach in the bush. In real life, I have found the inReach worth every extra cent - SPOT on steroids. The Iridium satellites way more reliable getting a message out in the north versus Globalstar, having two way texting and confirmation that your message got out was a huge relief, and not having to fiddle with an antennae pointed just right at a tiny place in the sky while you held your tongue in just the perfect position while trying to carry on even a quick conversation on a sat phone was much less frustrating.

12 gauge short barrelled or sawed off floatable shotgun with various loads- good for bear to birds to rabbits.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”