Bush pilots emergency pack

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Bush pilots emergency pack

Post by rigpiggy »

Break it down to 3 levels in pockets, on you, in airplane.
in pocket knife, fire, first aid

on you matches/lighter, water, survival blanket, signals a mustang fishing vest is good

in airplane more fire gear, fishing kit, bug dope, hatchet, shelter, food, extras go bag with extra clothes, cordage, etc....
---------- ADS -----------

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

What is the difference between on you and in your pockets? :|

I do agree that the essentials should be carried on your person if possible.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

bnot wrote:If you want to get a feel of what it would be like to use that kit then try this read.
Into the Abyss: How a Deadly Plane Crash Changed the Lives of a Pilot, a Politician, a Criminal and a Cop
by Carol Shaben (Goodreads Author)
This account will give you a real impression of what you need to pack.
bnot
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1333 ... -the-abyss

Really, really good book. A rare account that's also refreshingly accurate from a pilot's perspective.

I'm sure a few people have made the connection with Rachel Notley winning in AB!
(Thread drift, sorry.)

My current job is around the 55-60th, remote. Our COM dictates exactly what goes in our survival pack. It's decent, but for some reason (I found out the hard way trying to lash the thing down after putting down off base waiting out a wicked thunderstorm last month) that we had about 15 packs of dry pasta..... but no rope. What? Get rope.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

BeaverDreamer wrote:What is the difference between on you and in your pockets? :|

Maybe your vest was snagged and you had to take it off to get out of your sinking hull. Or you took it off to dry it so you don't die of exposure. Multiple scenarios think about them

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

rigpiggy wrote:
BeaverDreamer wrote:What is the difference between on you and in your pockets? :|

Maybe your vest was snagged and you had to take it off to get out of your sinking hull. Or you took it off to dry it so you don't die of exposure. Multiple scenarios think about them
Fair enough. But couldn't you also argue that a similar scenario could result in you having to get butt naked? :butthead:

Very good point though, I rarely carry more than a multi-tool and matches on my person and I'm definitely going to rethink that.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”