Bush flying training.

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Bush flying training.

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Well finally the advanced bush flying training program I have been thinking about is avaliable.

It is a new start up owned by one of Canadas most experienced sea plane pilots.

It is not a cookie cutter puppy mill kind of program so prevelent in aviation.

Sea plane pilots are becomming sought after and as a career it has a lot of positive things going for it.

If you are interested in knowing more just PM me.

. ..
---------- ADS -----------

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Bush flying training.

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Where's it available at?

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Nanaimo B.C.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

What makes it different from the "cookie cutter" courses and if float pilots are becoming sought after, why should one spend their money on such training as opposed to the basic 7 hour float rating. Also, if it is truly a bush flying training course will it include ski flying and off strip training?

Independence
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Independence »

Good luck with that .. It sounds like a 'community service' / 'give-back' type program and worth doing.

While limiting your market probably isn't a good thing, I would think that if the students already had say 500 hrs (1 season either on wheels or floats) they would get more from the 'advanced' part and would be in a very good spot for getting employment and doing a good job after that.

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

How does this course differ from the others, and the ones with very good reputations such as Air-Heart in Kelowna BC?
Just curious as to what you offer that puts you above the "cookie cutters" as you say...

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

How does this course differ from the others, and the ones with very good reputations such as Air-Heart in Kelowna BC?
Well first off I agree that Air-Heart has a good reputation.

The course I am describing is different in that it is structured on the students ability to meet a standard and not on a specific number of hours.

Passing the course is based on the pilot training record, once competent you will receive the training record and a certificate of competency.

Also you should inquire about doing PPC with this company.

Just curious as to what you offer that puts you above the "cookie cutters" as you say...

The course is not structured like a lot of FTU courses and the instructor is not a low time Flight Instructor with little or no experience in commercial sea plane flying.

And last of all I am quite involved in the structure of the course and in an advisory capacity.

Therefore you have the opportunity to learn from two of the highest time sea plane pilots in the industry.

Anymore things you are curious about, if so just ask and I will do my best to give you an answer.

. ..

lost in the north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lost in the north »

About time there is a new place to get a float endorsement/ or additional training. the Airhart gig has gone downhill in the last while. I do not believe float flying should be taught by a low time float pilot. What can he teach and pass along. While everyone is stuck on the 50 hrs of float time, I as an operator would rather see less hours , but better quality training. You get what you pay for.

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

Anymore things you are curious about, if so just ask and I will do my best to give you an answer.

. ..[/quote]

Had I known that you are Cat Driver I wouldn't have asked (in such a way), My apologies, I just read the thread on the other forum. From what I have read, you have more knowledge in aviation than most anyone on here. If I can ever find the time to come train with you I will, sadly I can barely find the time to keep current.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Had I known that you are Cat Driver I wouldn't have asked (in such a way), My apologies, I just read the thread on the other forum. From what I have read, you have more knowledge in aviation than most anyone on here. If I can ever find the time to come train with you I will, sadly I can barely find the time to keep current.
No problem. :mrgreen:

The real problem is using an assumed name no one knows who you are. :smt040

Jonnyboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jonnyboy »

I am interested in asking for details but because I just signed up I can't use the PM feature. Is there a website or email I can refer to? Thank you!

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Jonnyboy wrote:I am interested in asking for details but because I just signed up I can't use the PM feature. Is there a website or email I can refer to? Thank you!
Same boat.

Floatr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Floatr »

WEBSITE ANYONE...?

Is this new school Island Air...?

Randy Hanna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Randy Hanna »

He is referring to Pacific Seaplanes Inc located in Nanaimo BC
with site address of www.pacificseaplanes.biz or FB pacificseaplanesinc

Cheers
Randy

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

., Might I suggest getting someone to run over your site and "modernize" it a bit.

A lot of people rely on first impressions of a site as silly as it is.

There's a few good template website companies out there that can make making a new site very very easy.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Independence wrote:Good luck with that .. It sounds like a 'community service' / 'give-back' type program and worth doing.

While limiting your market probably isn't a good thing, I would think that if the students already had say 500 hrs (1 season either on wheels or floats) they would get more from the 'advanced' part and would be in a very good spot for getting employment and doing a good job after that.
I did my initial float rating with a chap who wouldn't take a look at anyone with less than 500hrs. (in NZ though). In my opinion you have to learn to crawl before you walk. Get the wheels semi down pact, then add to it. Congrats ., the more guys with actual experience teaching the better!

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

If you want to be a bush pilot then do your initial on floats. Since there is no actual "BUSH PILOT" rating it just sounds like your cert of competency is a cash grab. Good pilots aren't just trained, it comes from experience.

smg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by smg »

Hi .,

Don't know how to PM (or maybe not allowed to as just signed up). Would you be willing to send me a message regarding the syllabus and who the instructors are? Thanks very much. We met many years ago. Thanks.

Steve

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

I got my bush flying training when I got a job. Now I'm a bush pilot.

Easy, and free...

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

upintheair_ wrote:I got my bush flying training when I got a job. Now I'm a bush pilot.

Easy, and free...
Dude! You are sitting in the right seat of a Piper Navaho in Red Lake, forgive me but you are NOT a "bushpilot"!

Unless I am misinformed....

-How many camps have you flown into?
-Do you know what a tindi ramp is?
-Have you ever "dropped" drums of fuel using only ropes?
-External loads?
-Have you ever been in command of a ski or float equipped aircraft and flown over a site where you know the people trapping/staking a claim and stopped to give them your news paper or to check that all was ok/needed anything even though your company didn't ask you too do it... You made the landing and taxied in as close to camp as you could because doing so is... "The right thing to do in the North and wanted to ensure that your fellow man was OK?"

Sir, with all due respect, you might live and operate out of YXL, but ARE NOT A TRUE "BUSHPILOT"

All the best and fly safe,
TPC

PS: If you ever have the privilege of running into J.S.G at the Lakeview, please tell him I say "hello" and call yourself "humble Navaho right seat pie" and not "a northern bushpilot"!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”