Float Rating - School Recommendations

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Float Rating - School Recommendations

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Good morning all,

This summer I intend on just getting my feet wet and doing the basic 7 hr course to get the experience. I've had a few gents recommend Air Hart in Kelowna to me and after reviewing their website and a few others I'm sold on it.

But before I commit, I thought I'd ask you in this forum. Recommendations? Again, I'm not interested in a 50 hour bush course or anything, I'm just happy with the basic course for some experience and want to get some solid instruction in the limited time.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Float Rating - School Recommendations

Post by awitzke »

If all you want is the rating, go to the closest school. I went to Fort Langley Air and it was good.

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

Try Island Coastal Aviation (School) or Van City Seaplanes (Operator) in Pitt Meadows.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I'll second fort langley air.

Airhart used to have a great reputation. Haven't heard much about them in a while though.

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Thanks for the recommendations all.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

I think Ocean Air has the best location as far as having almost unlimited places to land in the immediate vicinity. The less time you spend in cruise, the better the value. I did my float rating out of Pat Bay in 2003 with Cooper Air (they don't exist anymore) and after 5500 hours on floats I can't think of a better location to train. There isn't really any reason to get outside of the southern Gulf Islands; there's countless cool harbours to land at, many of which have places to go for coffee or stretch your legs. You'll find glassy water, waves, swell and current all on the same day within minutes of each other. You want as many take-offs, landings, dockings, and beachings in as many variations as you can find. There's not need to waste your money on cross-countries or flying prescribed routes in busy airspace. If you want do to that go rent a 152/172 on wheels.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”