Bush Flying instructors near Vancouver?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

andrewchapman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bush Flying instructors near Vancouver?

Post by andrewchapman »

Hi, any recommendations for a bush flying instructor based out of one of the Lower Mainland airports?

I'm a casual PPL looking to have some fun and gain some new experience, sandbars, tight strips, etc, rather than a full formal course for a bush flying career.

Any suggestions appreciated, cheers!
Andrew
---------- ADS -----------

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Bush Flying instructors near Vancouver?

Post by awitzke »

There was a guy who advertised his super cub or something on a board at PFC. He had a lot of hours and offered tailwheel training into grass strips and such. Can't remember the name but it might still be posted on the board. He was just a private guy (IIRC he was an Airline Pilot who did this in is spare time).

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Don't know of any instructors (mainly due to the insurance issues, etc), but there are plenty of private owners who do this type of flying every Summer.

Head to Pitt Meadows, Langley, or Chilliwack, and look for the guys with tail draggers on rather large tires. They'd be the ones you want to get to know.

andrewchapman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andrewchapman »

awitzke wrote:There was a guy who advertised his super cub or something on a board at PFC. He had a lot of hours and offered tailwheel training into grass strips and such. Can't remember the name but it might still be posted on the board. He was just a private guy (IIRC he was an Airline Pilot who did this in is spare time).
Thanks, that rings a bell actually, and I've sent PFC a mail now to check. Cheers.

andrewchapman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andrewchapman »

No luck, PFC said they don't see anything on their board, and don't know who I might mean.

I will drop into the airports and sniff around some time soon, but if anyone has a recommended connection for this please do let me know.

Thanks all.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Get ahold of the cubdriver749er guy. Loni Haber-something or other. He does training n the very thing you are after. While he probably won't be where you are when you want, he may have contacts who are.

Be advised, there are lots of guys with taildraggers on big tires who can't land in less than a thousand feet, or figure out how to land somewhere there isn't a windsock.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”