Norseman question...

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Norseman question...

Post by Meatservo »

peterdillon wrote:I really like that picture Ross. I tried to pick holes in it but other than the campfire looked a little mature for the plane to be still on the water its very accurate but it maybe that was just a testament to the woodsmen of the day. As far as your original takeoff question nobody has said you couldn't so in true Norseman fashion its worth a try but my guess would be no at that alt. Norseman and Mountains are not commonly used terms. As AP just mentioned most Norseman had the droop ailerons disconnected. To answer an earlier question ours is FQI.
Maybe the pilot stuck around for a cup of tea before taking off. :wink:
---------- ADS -----------

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
ross1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ross1 »

Hello all... many thanks for the input.

"nobody has said you couldn't so in true Norseman fashion its worth a try".... I like that.

"Maybe the pilot stuck around for a cup of tea before taking off" .... yup...that's exactly what happened :wink:

Anyway...here's the narrative;

"SETTIN' UP"

The three brothers had been here once before. But then they had hiked in with much less gear. This time they were outfitted for a longer stay and wanted the canoe. But it was the extra weight of their prospecting supplies that determined it would be a whole lot easier to just fly in.

And the getting in was easy. The Norseman had touched down gently enough then just sat back in the water and slowed to a taxi speed in a very short distance. With the lake being at 6500 feet above sea level and just over a mile long however, the pilot knew that getting them back out would be a different story.

Still unspoiled, this alpine wilderness was not untouched. Besides themselves, The Hudson's Bay Company men, the gold seekers and even Hemingway had all been here before. Yet, long after the trappers and the writer were gone, the rumors of golden riches persisted. For the next four weeks the brothers will work the surrounding streams and rivers, each with wild hopes of finding their fortune.

The pilot would then return with his own more practical hopes of cooler air and a good east wind.

Again...comment, critique and suggestions always welcome...here or by PM... especially from you Norseman folks...a fortunate and rare group.

Cheers
Ross

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I think that's just perfect. I never flew a Norseman but many's the time in an Otter I explained to fellows that getting them out might take more trips than getting them in!

I love the painting.

With their more expansive vocabulary, I wonder if the Germans have a word for that feeling I get from pictures like this: Nostalgia for bygone days that were actually before I was born.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
ross1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ross1 »

Thanks Meat... to paraphrase Mr. Buffett.... "Yes, I am a pilot, 60 some years too late"

Ross

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”