Norseman question...

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

ross1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Norseman question...

Post by ross1 »

...more research for a painting.... can anyone give some idea on what sort of load (if any) a Norseman (600 hp) might be able to depart with from a mile long lake at 6500 ASL? Let's say light headwind at 10C.

sorry...I have no access to manuals or performance references

Thanks
Ross
---------- ADS -----------

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Norseman question...

Post by oldtimer »

From your lake, I would say a Cessna 180 would carry about the same load. The old Norseman needs lots of room and many times depends on the curvature of the earth to gain altitude. At around 1000 ft MSL or lower, 1800 lbs with a Mk 4 on small floats and 2000 for a Mk 5 or Mk 6 on 7170s. Now double the length of the lake and you may be able to double the load. The Norseman is not a STOL airplane, it is just one tough SOB.
Go to youtube and there is a video of a Norseman on take-off in glassy water conditions somewhere in Ontario. Disappears out of camera range and is still on the water.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Helmet Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Helmet Fire »

oldtimer wrote:Go to youtube and there is a video of a Norseman on take-off in glassy water conditions somewhere in Ontario. Disappears out of camera range and is still on the water.
This video?

Helmet Fire
Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

wow, used a lot of lake :shock:

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

When I worked at Contwoyto Lake in the early 70's a Norseman dropped in on its way north to a fishing lodge on Victoria Island. They had a hose duct-taped to the wing, a drum of fuel and a wobble pump in the cabin. They were also out of sight before lifting off from the near-glassy water that day.

I know it's a tall order since I don't recall the registration, but would any of you old-timers know which Norseman that might have been?

peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterdillon »

Not familiar with a Norseman at 6500 ASL as we are at 1000 but we don't find it as bad as its reputation. Ours is a a MK 5 with 7170's and known as a good performer as they vary a lot depending how they are rigged. If the Beaver is loaded to max and you put the identical load in the Norseman with the same fuel range on a normal day ours will beat the Beaver off the water. As the load and temperature goes up and the wind goes down things start to reverse pretty quick. The Norseman is way faster but if you could trade the speed for lighter high lift wings you would really have something. We noticed the poor climb and higher approach speeds more than the takeoff distance.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Ours is a MK 5 with 7170's and known as a good performer..
KAO?

ross1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ross1 »

Thanks... the idea was to depict a fictional Norseman departing Stanley Lake in Idaho...(nice mountains in the background) after having dropped off three men and camping gear. The consideration is with the lake being a mile long and at 6500 asl could they all come back out on the same trip? Painting's done ...working on a narrative.
Image[/url][/img]

critiques and comments welcome..

cheers all
Ross

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

That's gorgeous!

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Looks like 3 guys, their gear, and a canoe... :wink:

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Siddley Hawker wrote:
Ours is a MK 5 with 7170's and known as a good performer..
KAO?
KAO is a Mark VI.

The Mark V came after the the VI. The "V" signifies "Vee for Victory" after the end of WW2.

AP

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:When I worked at Contwoyto Lake in the early 70's a Norseman dropped in on its way north to a fishing lodge on Victoria Island. They had a hose duct-taped to the wing, a drum of fuel and a wobble pump in the cabin. They were also out of sight before lifting off from the near-glassy water that day.

I know it's a tall order since I don't recall the registration, but would any of you old-timers know which Norseman that might have been?
There are 2 logical aircraft:

CF-BTC, Mk IV Norseman, operated with the Palmers out of YZF between 1968 and 1984. Aircraft is currently with the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada in Winnipeg.

CF-GJN, Mk VI with Cameron Bay Air Service , Edmonton, AB 1968-1975.

AP

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Thanks Antique.

I think it was grey and red, but Gawd that's a long time ago!

I do remember that they called us on the VHF to confirm the water depth before landing. It was glassy and they could see the big boulders - 30-feet down!

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

ross1, that is a gorgeous picture.
The only comment is I notice you depict the airplane with flaps down for take-off which is very correct so that must be a Norseman V, the latest and best of the 3 common Marks, or models. With both the Mk 1V and the Mk V1, ailerons drooped with flaps but the Mk V used only flaps.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Piss poor technique on that takeoff. Should have been off in half that distance.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:Thanks Antique.

I think it was grey and red, but Gawd that's a long time ago!

I do remember that they called us on the VHF to confirm the water depth before landing. It was glassy and they could see the big boulders - 30-feet down!
Has to have been BTC that you saw. Here it is last year.

Attachments
IMG_7166.JPG
IMG_7166.JPG (133.46 KiB) Viewed 6650 times
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Helmet Fire wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Go to youtube and there is a video of a Norseman on take-off in glassy water conditions somewhere in Ontario. Disappears out of camera range and is still on the water.
This video?
Is the nose always that high during TO roll on the Norseman ? Looks like it stayed in the water instead of going on the step.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

oldtimer wrote:ross1, that is a gorgeous picture.
The only comment is I notice you depict the airplane with flaps down for take-off which is very correct so that must be a Norseman V, the latest and best of the 3 common Marks, or models. With both the Mk 1V and the Mk V1, ailerons drooped with flaps but the Mk V used only flaps.
You are correct. When the flaps got to 40 degrees the ailerons drooped down to 15.5 degrees. However I was lead to believe that the aileron-flap interconnect system was eventually disconnected by operators on most aircraft.

AP

peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterdillon »

I really like that picture Ross. I tried to pick holes in it but other than the campfire looked a little mature for the plane to be still on the water its very accurate but it maybe that was just a testament to the woodsmen of the day. As far as your original takeoff question nobody has said you couldn't so in true Norseman fashion its worth a try but my guess would be no at that alt. Norseman and Mountains are not commonly used terms. As AP just mentioned most Norseman had the droop ailerons disconnected. To answer an earlier question ours is FQI.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

KAO is a Mark VI.
Oops. Forgot that. :oops:

BTC in Bob Cameron's back yard in YXY.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”