Kodiak vs Caravan

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Kodiak vs Caravan

Post by 182-SS »

So what are the thoughts on the Kodiak vs the Caravan for float ops?
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Kodiak vs Caravan

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

182-SS wrote:So what are the thoughts on the Kodiak vs the Caravan for float ops?
Spend the extra 300K on a 208 and make money.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

But make sure you put a real mans engine in it: 331-12

matt foley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by matt foley »

Has the lack of IFR certification issue when installing an "after market" engine been sorted out? I understand that this was one of the few downsides to going TPE 331 over factory Pratt. The EX has more giddy-up but without having flown either upgrades I imagine the Garrett still wins in fuel burn and speed. What are the performance issues of the kodiak besides taking less pops and chip?

MF

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

The Caravan with a -12 beats the Kodiak in every way so there's that. Oh wait I lied; the Kodiak has a lower stall speed by about 2 knots.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
matt foley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by matt foley »

So I can assume then that a TPE converted C208 does retain its IFR certification then? I should have know better than trying to get real information from this site. That's the price I pay for being lazy and not contributing I guess.

http://questaircraft.com/wp-content/upl ... tplane.pdf

MF

PS. I would still think the EX 'van increases the general performance gap as it does from the other 208s.
However I like the opening statement in the link attached. Apples to oranges from a design perspective really.
Like comparing KA200 v PC12. No comparison until you use them for the same job...then its apples to apples I guess.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

matt foley wrote:Has the lack of IFR certification issue when installing an "after market" engine been sorted out? I understand that this was one of the few downsides to going TPE 331 over factory Pratt. The EX has more giddy-up but without having flown either upgrades I imagine the Garrett still wins in fuel burn and speed. What are the performance issues of the kodiak besides taking less pops and chip?

MF
TC still insists on a factory installed turbine engine for IFR in a single. That doesn't matter to most float operators, however, which was the target audience of this thread, so I think the Garrett Caravan is a reasonable option.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

porcsord wrote:But make sure you put a real mans engine in it: 331-12
Beat me to it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMDPuqUqOOI

First turbine I ever flew, awesome machine.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Having flown an EX on floats and the -12 on floats there is no comparing the two. That being said the EX is larger as it's a grand caravan. I've never flown a -12 Grand on 8750's but I suspect it would be as close to a competitor to an Otter than you can get... one that goes faster, climbs faster, at the downside of still being a caravan.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

Months after TC issued a waiver for the Blackhawk conversion with that allowed IFR ops with pax they did the same for both the Texas Turbine and Aero Twin TPE331 conversions.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”