Bird Dog Navigator

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

krrave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bird Dog Navigator

Post by krrave »

Hey all are there any people on here that have experience as a navigator for aerial fire fighting? Would love to get a convo going what the job entails and how the selection process is.

Thanks,
CV
---------- ADS -----------

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Bird Dog Navigator

Post by CLguy »

There is no such thing. Are you thinking Air Attack Leader by chance?

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
krrave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by krrave »

Quite possibly . My knowledge goes as far as there is someone in the right seat (of the bird dog) who plans the approach and lead the bombers. Does this sound like that position?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The AAO, Air Attack Officer, (or Leader in Ont., as per CLguy.) plans and directs the drops, and sits in the right seat of the bird dog. He (Or she, in my last season.) Is a firefighter first and an aerial person second.
It would be anywhere between a year or 5 to do it from the ground.
The fire detection suck n blows (Google it, ;). ) also have a spotter with them, they're also a ministry employee and usually a firefighter of any type or class. Some guys prefer it (Like my buddy Ron- RIP, you were the best.) And others just get pulled when nobody else is avail. They're tasked with assessing and documenting the starts and existing fires.
It's the Provincial fire services that do the hiring for these positions, and I can tell you that Saskatchewan is hiring right now, but I don't know about the other provinces.
Go ahead and PM me if ya have any other questions,
It's flat out amazing work!
Cheers

D

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”