wanabe bush pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

SSCBD
Rank 0
Rank 0

wanabe bush pilot

Post by SSCBD »

quick question; if I have 1500 hrs (single) and a float endorsement, can I get a job flying bush. If so where?
---------- ADS -----------

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

Yup if you got a clean record (flying) start sending it north of 60. Alkan air & Sifton airways, in the Yukon. Simpson air, Wolverine air, Big River Air, Landa, Air Tindi & Arctic sunwest, in the NWT are the better one's I can think of off the top of my head. In the spring a good drive is your best bet most operators like to see who their hiring especially the smaller ones

zero
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by zero »

Some bush ops may not look too kindly upon instructor time...past experience tells me, although I do know of instructors who went the bush route with your numbers. Many more float hours required if you are looking for a float job.

Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Idriveplane »

I saw an ad for a 206 driver in the NWT. That was in the hot employment tips i think.

flying278
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flying278 »

Really it depends on what experience you have in the bush, how much time on floats on type, etc. 1500 hours is great but perhaps not so if this is all on a 172, etc. The bush planes up here are more like the 185's, Twin and Single Otters, and Caravans. Needles to mention the DC-3's and DC-4's. The rest I think would not classify a bush plane unles you think landing on a paved runway up north is still considered a bush type of flying. Tindi hires every spring, as well as Arctic Sunwest. Perhaps your best bet are the small operators as they have pilots coming and going by the season. It's great flying, plenty of work, and if you don't mind the small income also a lot less political and crappy as the courier type of flying. Grow a beard!

Stay safe!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Light airplanes are just that light airplanes. Bush flying in a Super Cub will teach you exactly the same skills as flying in any other light airplane.

When you go from a single engine Cub to a single engine Otter the only real difference is the amount of freight you have to load and unload, they are both light aircraft that require nothing more than a check out on type and a few hours of getting familiar with the new airplane..

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Try North Wright in Norman Wells NWT

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Looking for some Jedi guidance here....

What are the odds with 600 TT, 30 multi and about 50 hours on floats in the Quebec bush building cottages ?

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Northwest Ontario is really good with the bush flying. I worked for Kenora Air Service, and right across the dock is Walsten Air. There is Nestor Falls, Red Lake, the Narrows, and some other places...also Manitoba. But those are good places to look.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

What are the chances of a 207 hour wonder with a float rating getting a bush job next summer?

pm me with the results.

-istp :lol:

cplanedriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cplanedriver »

Wow, the lakes aren't even skinned over yet and this bush forum is heating up. It's gonna be a long winter for folks waiting on break up. It's already showing some promise with a coupla "next season" jobs popping up. Makes a guy figure" do I take the job now or wait for awhile?' Oh well, money talks.....ah, not thinking about it now, got to get out deer hunting . Have a great winter all..... Fly safe.
Gary

cpd
just clearing the trees
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by just clearing the trees »

istp wrote:What are the chances of a 207 hour wonder with a float rating getting a bush job next summer?
If you mean a flying position, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility, although it's not very likely. You'll probably get on the dock somewhere without too much trouble. Gotta take that year of punishment before you fly floats.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”