Digital Artificial Horizon

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Digital Artificial Horizon

Post by tazin river »

If I wanted to get rid of the vacuum pump, DG and AH altogether, would I need to get two Garmin G5 units (one showing AH and one used as DG) or is one enough toggling back and forth as needed?
---------- ADS -----------

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

tazin river wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 am If I wanted to get rid of the vacuum pump, DG and AH altogether, would I need to get two Garmin G5 units (one showing AH and one used as DG) or is one enough toggling back and forth as needed?
When I looked into it a year ago to ditch vacuum system, the G5 wouldn’t suffice to date. Not certified as a stand alone back up. Can be used as a primary but to ditch the vacuum one would need the G5 or G500 etc as a primary and for the back up something like the Sandia SAI 340.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Avidynes E5 is now available for same price as the G5. Put the AH where the vsi is, and should be gtg

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

TimothysAr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Digital Artificial Horizon

Post by TimothysAr »

I set my horizon occasionally to reflect level flight in my current state of trim depending on load. Id expect to do the same with a digital instrument. And what does icing have to do with any horizon instrument?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Just what Garmin certified no fiki, not more than6000#, not more than 6people, methinks it is so they can sell you a more expensive system

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

tazin river wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 am If I wanted to get rid of the vacuum pump, DG and AH altogether, would I need to get two Garmin G5 units (one showing AH and one used as DG) or is one enough toggling back and forth as needed?
There’s no requirement for a vacuum system or AI/DG in a day VFR aircraft at all. Not even a turn and bank indicator.

Personally I’d think putting one G5 in is better than two vacuum instruments. The G5 has a backup battery which will get you out of almost any situation you got yourself into, and displays information much better than an AI.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

C-GKNT wrote: Fri May 06, 2016 8:50 amSee my previous post. With the Dynon like the Garmin G500/600/1000, no GPS--->No Attitude.
The Dynon D10A doesn't require GPS for attitude.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

We installed the G5 last week and used it for the first time a couple days ago...

...I think I am going to really like this instrument....simple and easy to use...

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”