Superior Airways Makenzie Lake, Armstrong, ON

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

jagged
Rank 0
Rank 0

Superior Airways Makenzie Lake, Armstrong, ON

Post by jagged »

I read through all the topics about Superior Airways and never found one mention of Armstrong, ON. They ran a base there for years from the late 50's until the late 70's on Makenzie Lake. They had quite a fish packing operation at one time. Any one have any comments?
---------- ADS -----------

bobo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Superior Airways Makenzie Lake, Armstrong, ON

Post by bobo »

I flew for Superior from 1968-1972 with most of that time being based in Nakina 100 miles east of Armstrong. Superior did have a summer (floats) base on Makenzie Lake during that time period. The winter operation (skis) was moved to the airport on the east side of Armstrong. I always went to the airport and landed with floats on the grass for change over to skis every fall. They had quite a maintenance operation based there every winter as well as using it as a ski base for everything from 180's to DC3's.
During that time period Superior/Severn operated a large fish packing plant in Pickle Crow. All summer long walleyes and whitefish caught north of Pickle Lake on the reserves were flown into Pickle Lake and trucked to the plant in Pickle Crow where they were filleted and quick frozen and then boxed for shipment to retailers and others across Canada. They even had a bunk house for the workers adjacent to the plant where the workers ate and slept.
I stayed in the bunk house on the odd occasion that I was in Pickle Lake.

Bob Ostrom
Bandera Texas USA

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Bob, do you have any pictures that have been scanned that you could post?

bobo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobo »

I have a few from my Superior days but none specifically dealing with Pickle Lake or the fish packing plant. From your question I'm not sure what photos you need.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

I've worked in Nakina, Armstrong, and Pickle Lake so I'd be interested in any of them.

Baron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Baron »

Worked for Superior 64 to 68 out of all the bases, no pictures couldn't afford a camera :lol:

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”