Plane Crash caused by seadoos

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

jagged
Rank 0
Rank 0

Plane Crash caused by seadoos

Post by jagged »

We had just come back from fishing and there was only a light chop on the water. My wife was cleaning our catch, and I was relaxing on the front porch. I saw the small piper cub taxiing towards Oulletts bay(Remi Lake, Moonbeam, ON) to eventually turn around and take of into the slight north wind. There were a couple of seadoos blasting around all the time the plane was taxiing and they had disappeared momentarily in the same direction the plane turned to, and accelerated for take off. I watched the plane gain speed until I couldn’t see it any more through our view to the lake, and listened to it’s revving engine, expecting to see it soar into the air above the trees.
Unfortunately I heard a weird thumping, banging sound off in the distance and the revving engine immediately stopped. I jokingly said to my wife, “ I think that plane just crashed into an idiot on a seadoo!”. My wie said “well I don’t see any fire or smoke”..............LOL! I couldn’t even imagine that anything really happened, I just figured that the engine blew on the Piper and he would have to get a tow home.
The news that came later was; just before take off, the plane was about to lift off in the slight breeze, when it encountered the waves of 2 seadoos that had been crisscrossing themselves in his take off area, creating enough waves to violently rock the plane enough to cause one wing to strike the water and almost destroy the plane. Luckily the pilot was only shaken badly!
Any thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Plane Crash caused by seadoos

Post by cgzro »

Seadoos don't create much wake especially when they are moving fast. I have a hard time imagining that a seadoo wake would be enough to cause much problem for even a small float plane although I could see them distracting the pilot or getting in the way.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Seadoo's wake from cruising is small but the abrupt turn half bury the nose and launch back out creates a pretty good wake.

JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

So you went fishing and then your wife cleaned the fish while you were relaxing. You are living LARGE my friend!

Cheers........J

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”