DeHavilland DH-89A Rapide On Floats

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Antique Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

DeHavilland DH-89A Rapide On Floats

#1 Post by Antique Pilot » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:57 am

Here is a pic of CF-BND on Digby Island BC shortly after it's demise on July 29, 1949. The remains were recovered about 20 years ago and taken to Winnipeg by poster 1000HP.

In 1949 it was owned by Central Northern Airways of Winnipeg but was on lease to Queen Charlotte Airlines of Vancouver.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG (162.29 KiB) Viewed 2397 times

Antique Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: DeHavilland DH-89A Rapide On Floats

#2 Post by Antique Pilot » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:06 am

Here is CF-AYE at Sioux Lookout about 1947 when owned by Central Northern Airlines. In 1949 it was either leased or sold to Queen Charlotte Airlines. I was told that it was ferried to Vancouver by Jack Anderson about that time. In 1951 it was used for fire practice by the Vancouver Airport Fire Department.

Floats used were either EDO 6235 or EDO 6470.

AP

Attachments
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG (103.18 KiB) Viewed 2393 times

Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3

#3 Post by Trevor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:32 am

I just so happen to work with the pilot's son, so I trust this story.

Apparently the Rapide had been all loaded up when the flight was cancelled due to weather. The next morning, he did an expedited inspection, then took off without checking the fuel tanks. During the night, someone had helped themselves to some gas for the outboard motor on their boat.

The pilot walked away and went on to a lengthy career flying bush planes at PWA.

Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor

Antique Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

#4 Post by Antique Pilot » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:34 am

Trevor wrote:I just so happen to work with the pilot's son, so I trust this story.

Apparently the Rapide had been all loaded up when the flight was cancelled due to weather. The next morning, he did an expedited inspection, then took off without checking the fuel tanks. During the night, someone had helped themselves to some gas for the outboard motor on their boat.

The pilot walked away and went on to a lengthy career flying bush planes at PWA.
Jim Spilsbury sent me the pic of BND on Digby Island. He was the founder of Queen Charlotte Airlines.
He wrote a great book called "The Accidental Airline". He relates that after a few days the Gypsy engines disappeared from the wreck. The wreck was in very rough terrain, heavy underbrush, swamps, and quite a distance from the nearest shoreline. He was always watching for someone operating a boat with a Gypsy engine.

AP

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”