Fatigue for AMEs and pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Fatigue for AMEs and pilots

Post by crazyaviator »

I have had to strongly tell a fellow Pilot/AME to go home, twice . I have also asked the same person to boot my ass out the door IF I am fatigued and my performance is in question. You need to learn when to boot yourself out the door !.. With duty regulations in place for pilots, a certain aspect of "enforcement " of common sense is taking place. In maintenance, it is still the wild west out there and is rather pathetic at times. I appreciate reading the accident reports and sometimes I laugh. Because the pilot(s) are behind the pointy end and alone, fatigue related "accidents" are more prevalent. Maintenance "accidents" due to fatigue are more systemic in nature and tend to mask fatigue induced performance issues. There is short term, ( 1 work cycle 12-24 hrs) mid term fatigue ( many days) and long term fatigue ( many months) Internally and externally induced and combinations thereof. Like Lack of oxygen, Fatigue can creep up on you without you realizing the extent of it. If you accept a role as Pilot/AME, mature self management becomes foremost and to hell with the rest of the world when things get towards the ragged edge!!!!
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”