Demand for float drivers 2017?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Demand for float drivers 2017?

Post by marakii »

I have been reading more and more that there is or there will be a shortage of float/bush/drivers right across the country from the operators due to the hiring of more and more low time guys getting on to fixed gear 703 operators.

What is a realistic outlook on getting a float gig this spring with about 100 hours of float time ? I've already started sending out resumes but my first gig up in Northern Ontario was when I walked in and was hired on the spot but that was a while back.

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Demand for float drivers 2017?

Post by C-FDPB »

i think chances are good. I've already had interest from a handful of companies that are looking.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Seems everyone West of Ontario wants 1000hrs floats to touch a beaver... (That could be read the wrong way). That's a lot of seasonal work just to get on a beaver. 2-3 years when someone doing the wheel route could get a lot further in less time I bet. Probably caravan or King air captain in that time frame flying off solid ground.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The reality is the Beaver is far easier to fly than a Cessna 180 / 185 etc.

Owners will hire whoever they can get when the experienced pilot pool dries up.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

latest i heard is dhc2 pay 23.00hr yvr cost of living yvr 40.00 hr (based on 160 hr month guarantee) company h.air. ltd / wx shit / stress high buddy declined "opportunity" to go broke

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

That must be their pay scale for the 1980's not 2017.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

WAWCON in Canada goes contrary to evolution, common sense, and inflation. Don't expect monumental changes in the pond world anytime soon. HA and others on the lower mainland only want "seasonal" workers these days.

Good luck.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Fewer pilots get into Float flying. Same as fewer people want to work trades jobs like Welder, Carpenter, Plumber etc. It's a generational thing. Take your own guess why? I have a pretty good idea why.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

phillyfan wrote:Fewer pilots get into Float flying. Same as fewer people want to work trades jobs like Welder, Carpenter, Plumber etc. It's a generational thing. Take your own guess why? I have a pretty good idea why.
Why?

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Hey Cat. An easier plane to fly is an A320. The difference is when you get into the shit, experience comes into play. I have a few hours on floats, and while it is easier to fly, you carry more insurance liability. Same reason the bigger the plane the bigger the experience/lnsurance/pay is.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

When are people thinking of going on their Ontario road trips?

I've seen a few places put ads up looking for pilots, but nothing significant yet.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

FishermanIvan wrote:When are people thinking of going on their Ontario road trips?
You first on the dates....

Then we can leave a week earlier! :smt040

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

:lol:

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

I finished my CPL and got my float rating last year because I'm in my mid 30s and highly doubted I could climb the airline ladder in time to do much with it (without winning a lottery to pay for hours, but that's taboo!). I want to go float because it was a natural fit as soon as I was on the water (actually it was when I beached near Thetis Island while my instructor had a break that I decided this is the flying I want to do). I have already fired off resumes a couple weeks ago and had a few "you need more hours, try again later," a dock hand position offer with no official route to a seat and one "check back to me later!" That's out of 30+ so far using TC and various other sites! All I really want is a decent operator, do a few seasons with them where I get my 500-1000 hours and we both walk away with a worth while investment, and then come back to BC because I want to work near the ocean and/or in the mountains. I'm simple! I like working with my hands so to speak, good on a shovel or with a hammer and don't mind working the dock for a bit to get my seat, but also want to be back west before I need medicals every 6 months! So at this point I hope I can get on with someone this year without the exploratory road trip as opposed to a focused one. Coming from Victoria its a bit of a trek to get to NWO or Northern Manitoba and needs to be planned in advance!

What is the season starting to look like in terms of WX and that kind of thing? Any ideas of roughly when things might start? Are there many or any decent operators that will take on a low timer in Sask? It's an odd question, but my girlfriend can only transfer there from BC should I end up with something more permanent I can't refuse. Not a show stopper just a consideration!

noon_crue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by noon_crue »

AirDoan wrote:I finished my CPL and got my float rating last year because I'm in my mid 30s and highly doubted I could climb the airline ladder in time to do much with it (without winning a lottery to pay for hours, but that's taboo!). I want to go float because it was a natural fit as soon as I was on the water (actually it was when I beached near Thetis Island while my instructor had a break that I decided this is the flying I want to do). I have already fired off resumes a couple weeks ago and had a few "you need more hours, try again later," a dock hand position offer with no official route to a seat and one "check back to me later!" That's out of 30+ so far using TC and various other sites! All I really want is a decent operator, do a few seasons with them where I get my 500-1000 hours and we both walk away with a worth while investment, and then come back to BC because I want to work near the ocean and/or in the mountains. I'm simple! I like working with my hands so to speak, good on a shovel or with a hammer and don't mind working the dock for a bit to get my seat, but also want to be back west before I need medicals every 6 months! So at this point I hope I can get on with someone this year without the exploratory road trip as opposed to a focused one. Coming from Victoria its a bit of a trek to get to NWO or Northern Manitoba and needs to be planned in advance!

What is the season starting to look like in terms of WX and that kind of thing? Any ideas of roughly when things might start? Are there many or any decent operators that will take on a low timer in Sask? It's an odd question, but my girlfriend can only transfer there from BC should I end up with something more permanent I can't refuse. Not a show stopper just a consideration!
Just keep plugging away man. Most operators in NWO won't throw you in an airplane unless you have a season on the dock under your belt. Some might give you a check out at the end of the season, in hopes of a pilot for next season and to keep staff. Not saying that some out there won't direct entry hire. I'm 30, and just got to finally fly this past season. I put a season in on the dock, and voila! There's no shame in busting your rear for a few months before touching a set of controls.

With that being said. Float season in NWO starts right around the first week of may, and goes until mid October. There are many good companies that you could get on with and stay with for many seasons. The company I'm with, our two turbine guys have been with the company for I believe 6&10 seasons now.

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

There's always more than 1 way to get into the float world. I've got about 1500 floats and have always had full time permanent positons. 9 hrs on the Super cub was my rating, and neverflown anything commercially smaller than a Beaver.

Now of course the catch is instead of many seasons out east, I chose to get a bunch of copilot and SPIFR time. (had about 2500tt when I moved to floats) It's a round about way, and it still wasn't an easy sell to get on floats, but it worked well for me.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How did the industry ever get people to think working on the dock makes one a better pilot?

Weird, really weird thinking.

But for sure it gives the operators cheap labour.

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Cat Driver wrote:How did the industry ever get people to think working on the dock makes one a better pilot?

Weird, really weird thinking.

But for sure it gives the operators cheap labour.
Probably from guys like me who've had fathers who believed in paying your dues with the stories to boot. I assumed that is how it'll be and will go with it if that's what it takes! Of course I would prefer a direct entry flying job with my 220TT and 5 hours on floats. But if the choice is doing a season on a dock with a check out for the next or not getting into the industry at all, why not if I can make ends meet on a labourers wage for a few months or a season? In retail I worked part time up to store manager until I decided that I hated that game and wanted to make good on the promise to my 7 year old self and learn to fly. I have been in road and infrastructure construction for the last few years earning my license and rating with my hands and back so one more summer won't phase me.

Your point is taken Cat, so don't take my comment as disrespect. Quite the contrary. I'm just keeping my options open and don't mind getting my hands dirty if that's what it takes.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I don't take your comments as disrespect at all.

I make these posts to point out that if pilots refused to work for peanuts doing manual labor for these operators they would be forced to hire you to fly.

The government has issued you a license that states you have met the requirements to fly for hire.

Working on the dock or cutting grass does not improve your flying skills.

Now if an employer offers you a job working in the hangar fixing the airplanes during the winter when there is no flying and puts you to work flying come spring that does make for a more knowledgeable pilot.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Cat Driver wrote:I don't take your comments as disrespect at all.

I make these posts to point out that if pilots refused to work for peanuts doing manual labor for these operators they would be forced to hire you to fly.

The government has issued you a license that states you have met the requirements to fly for hire.

Working on the dock or cutting grass does not improve your flying skills.

Now if an employer offers you a job working in the hangar fixing the airplanes during the winter when there is no flying and puts you to work flying come spring that does make for a more knowledgeable pilot.
That I would love to do, but seems the dock for a little while is the standard fare...

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”