Demand for float drivers 2017?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Demand for float drivers 2017?

Post by Invertago »

So switching gears here a bit, what is a typical wage for float pilots on say a Dhc6 or c208 etc.
---------- ADS -----------

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

So switching gears here a bit, what is a typical wage for float pilots on say a Dhc6 or c208 etc.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Not a 208, but I was offered 3k/month on a 180. Well, 3k as a dock guy then once I was checked out 3500$/mo. With lodging. So hopefully at least more than that.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

That seems like a fair offer, and once you get some experience you move up to better paying jobs.

I was talking to Randy Hanna today and he said the turbine Otter guys are making eight to ten thousand a month at most operators.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Cat Driver wrote:That seems like a fair offer, and once you get some experience you move up to better paying jobs.

I was talking to Randy Hanna today and he said the turbine Otter guys are making eight to ten thousand a month at most operators.
:shock: Does that include HArbour Air?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

mmm..bacon wrote:
Cat Driver wrote:That seems like a fair offer, and once you get some experience you move up to better paying jobs.

:shock: Does that include HArbour Air?
I have nothing to base this on, but I'd assume those pilots are pretty well paid, no?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Assuming the HA crowd is making approximately $96,000 - $120,000+, that would likely explain why there is little movement in the full time crowd.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

7ECA wrote:Assuming the HA crowd is making approximately $96,000 - $120,000+, that would likely explain why there is little movement in the full time crowd.
That's the dream job!

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

7ECA wrote:Assuming the HA crowd is making approximately $96,000 - $120,000+, that would likely explain why there is little movement in the full time crowd.
That's my goal! We'll see.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

That's a bit higher then I expected for HA

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

I'm going to call BS on that. Find a non management pilot alone T4 that would confirm that and I'll eat my hat!

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

TeePeeCreeper wrote:
I'm going to call BS on that. Find a non management pilot alone T4 that would confirm that and I'll eat my hat!
I'm just extrapolating, based on Cat Driver's apparent pay range for Otter floggers. If, that pay scale rings true for HA, it would make sense based on the lack of turnover of full time guys.

HA Beaver pilots, on the other hand, there is a lot of turn over - read into that as you may.

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Starting -3 pay at HA is nowhere near 6 figures. Those numbers seem about right for seasonal float work though.

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

BeaverDreamer wrote:Starting -3 pay at HA is nowhere near 6 figures. Those numbers seem about right for seasonal float work though.
I am gonna go out on a limb and say there are very few float pilots making that kind of coin flying a -3 in NWO.

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

piperdriver wrote:
BeaverDreamer wrote:Starting -3 pay at HA is nowhere near 6 figures. Those numbers seem about right for seasonal float work though.
I am gonna go out on a limb and say there are very few float pilots making that kind of coin flying a -3 in NWO.
You're certainly right, but some are. I have heard (not firsthand) of guys making 8/month to fly even a beaver on the coast though. High time guys tend to be pretty well payed, and rightfully so.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

IIRC the starting wage on the otter at HA was 28/hr for duty time. I'd say most of the full time folk who had been around for a while were in the 70-80k range.

Beaver drivers were paid considerably less and only kept seasonally.. hence the turnover.

I turned down a beaver gig for 6k a month summer 2015. There are a bunch of otter and caravan gigs that pay good coin seasonally. I knew one when I was flying in MB in 2011 who was making 9k with room and board included plus tips. Albeit it sounded like a hardworking gig

BigWillyStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BigWillyStyle »

AirDoan wrote:I finished my CPL and got my float rating last year because I'm in my mid 30s and highly doubted I could climb the airline ladder in time to do much with it (without winning a lottery to pay for hours, but that's taboo!). I want to go float because it was a natural fit as soon as I was on the water (actually it was when I beached near Thetis Island while my instructor had a break that I decided this is the flying I want to do). I have already fired off resumes a couple weeks ago and had a few "you need more hours, try again later," a dock hand position offer with no official route to a seat and one "check back to me later!" That's out of 30+ so far using TC and various other sites! All I really want is a decent operator, do a few seasons with them where I get my 500-1000 hours and we both walk away with a worth while investment, and then come back to BC because I want to work near the ocean and/or in the mountains. I'm simple! I like working with my hands so to speak, good on a shovel or with a hammer and don't mind working the dock for a bit to get my seat, but also want to be back west before I need medicals every 6 months! So at this point I hope I can get on with someone this year without the exploratory road trip as opposed to a focused one. Coming from Victoria its a bit of a trek to get to NWO or Northern Manitoba and needs to be planned in advance!

What is the season starting to look like in terms of WX and that kind of thing? Any ideas of roughly when things might start? Are there many or any decent operators that will take on a low timer in Sask? It's an odd question, but my girlfriend can only transfer there from BC should I end up with something more permanent I can't refuse. Not a show stopper just a consideration!
Looking back, my career trajectory would have been much improved if I had my Small Engine repair course and my float rating. Lodge owners tend to look favourably upon that combination of skill sets, in my experience. Fly outs in the morning, fix a few outboards, pick-ups before supper. Puts your resume closer to the top of the stack.

I got out of aviation so I could afford a yacht big enough to pull up beside Doc's!
AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

BigWillyStyle wrote:
Looking back, my career trajectory would have been much improved if I had my Small Engine repair course and my float rating. Lodge owners tend to look favourably upon that combination of skill sets, in my experience. Fly outs in the morning, fix a few outboards, pick-ups before supper. Puts your resume closer to the top of the stack.
I actually have some experience repairing equipment and vehicles. I have and can rebuild a carb, test mags/coils, replace plugs and that kind of thing. I grew up taking a boat every day until I was in high school and I have a lot of mechanical aptitude. I do all my own work on my truck. From brakes to pulling apart and cleaning the intake and throttle body on my Colorado (If you google, its a common cause of the idle hunting and reduced power), to electrical problems. This unofficial skill set came from running $500-1000 specials in a small town with a mechanic as a best friend and having a brother as a marine mechanic. I also do some of the maintenance on the heavier equipment at work. Oil Changes and battery swaps on the diesel plates, a skid-steer that should be used as an anchor, chain and cut-off saws, pumps and generators. I just installed new rotary and running lights on our rubber tire excavator and back hoe. However these and other life skills are not really something I can say officially on a job application. Not a lot of that I can say I have been trained for, just learned on my own with a little help once in a while. Nor can I really explain that on a "one-page" resume. Its actually an issue I have run into writing resumes and cover letters. On one hand I see everyone saying that the one page with basic hours and brief summary of school and work is all I should use. But in the other my gut says that if I was hiring a dock-hand to work his or her way into a cockpit, I'd want as many transferable and usable skills while I have them grounded and the times they aren't in the air. My personal instinct is to write a more normal detailed resume listing these attributes. That list and job summary is 2-3 pages of resume with my last 10 years of work experience.

I'm chomping at the bit to start sending a 2nd round of applications in March and get this show on the road. I'm not getting any younger! Sitting and waiting for the season to start is definitely not something I am used to. My current construction company just lost a bigger contract that would have gotten me through until April/May. Are there any operators out there that could use someone early to help get things ready?

PS: I apologize to the OP if this is hijacking or going off your original topic!

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

If you are looking for an entry level job with a lodge operator, you really should at least mention your mechanical aptitude/small engine repair/vehicle maintenance. You should find a way to squeeze in "Life Experience: Small engine repair and vehicle maintenance" or similar. It may be just enough to get someone to call you back to ask about it, since it is a handy skill to have - even if you do not have formal training.

BigWillyStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BigWillyStyle »

Agreed. That summary of mechanical aptitude is great cover letter material, and it's fantastic as far as it goes, but you aren't trying to sell to us, you're trying to sell to them. What I'm saying is that if you have the actual ticket for Marine Power Maintenance (or equivalent), then writing all of that is optional. I don't own a lodge myself, but if I did, and I was looking for staff, and I saw that the first 2 items on a resume were Commercial Pilot w/ float endorsement, and the above mentioned ticket, I would definitely call them, and I think that many lodge operators think that way. If you are thinking of working in float aviation long term, then you could justify the cost of getting the ticket. If you are looking for a couple of seasons, then moving on to the wheels and MIFR route, then it may not be worth the investment of time and money. As in all things, it's up to you.

I got out of aviation so I could afford a yacht big enough to pull up beside Doc's!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”