Demand for float drivers 2017?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Demand for float drivers 2017?

Post by FishermanIvan »

AirDoan wrote:So, how are things shaping up this season? I've been sending out tonnes of applications to every Tom, Dick and Harry operation but haven't gotten much in replies. Any wet low timers had much luck yet?
I've got an answer back from SkyDive Toronto and the place with the Otter that you get to fly right seat from, but nothing else. I'm picking up my car from Calgary at Easter and doing my road trip across Canada after that weekend.
---------- ADS -----------

dahspeers
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dahspeers »

Being a farm kid, and working as a mechanic before I started flying is the sole reason I was hired for all my float jobs. We can all fly the plane, but in the float world the flying is only about 25% of the work, if that.

That being said, since I started 4 years ago I have NEVER seen so many help wanted ads for entry, or second season kind of float jobs. It looks like a good year to get a start.

And guys, quick heads up, hit the gym a couple months before you start work. It'll make your first few weeks a hell of a lot easier.

And don't forget your camera.

Franada
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Franada »

dahspeers wrote:Being a farm kid, and working as a mechanic before I started flying is the sole reason I was hired for all my float jobs. We can all fly the plane, but in the float world the flying is only about 25% of the work, if that.

That being said, since I started 4 years ago I have NEVER seen so many help wanted ads for entry, or second season kind of float jobs. It looks like a good year to get a start.

And guys, quick heads up, hit the gym a couple months before you start work. It'll make your first few weeks a hell of a lot easier.

And don't forget your camera.
I have to second that! +1

It started to be really hard to find the right pilot. We don't have any small plane, just Beaver, so we need experienced pilots - Hard to find, then it's hard to find pilots wiling to work on the ground. Mechanic, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, CLEANING,....well not everybody wants to do that anymore...as you said 25% to 30% of our working time is flying only.

canadadry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by canadadry »

Hello all,

What are the odds to get a job on the west coast with 1000hrs tt / 800 float, one season on a Beaver and haven't flown for 8 years ...

Chris.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Should be fairly easy.

As to the eight years, flying is like sex, once you get the hang of it you never forget. :D

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Turbo82
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Turbo82 »

7ECA wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:03 pm Assuming the HA crowd is making approximately $96,000 - $120,000+, that would likely explain why there is little movement in the full time crowd.
More like $45,000- $120,000. Depends on years of service, aircraft you’re on and if you hold a training position. I can confirm that that top pay is a non management income. Work hard in the summers and get overtime pay. Winter times there is top up for a guaranteed wage and they are pretty laid back days. The schedules are very well managed and try to do the best to accommodate everyone’s requests. Amazing work life balance, well cared for aircraft and all the benefits of a well run company.
So many assumptions and guesses being thrown around about the HA career. Hopefully this helps...

cdntous
Rank 0
Rank 0

Are you serious?

Post by cdntous »

You paid, what, $70,000 to get your licenses?
Have some self respect. Find a job where you can actually use them.
If you work on the dock for a season, that means no flying job for at least a year.
Who knows what will happen in a year?
What if the company folds?
What if the boss' son gets his CPL and they decide they don't need you anymore?

In a year, you could almost have your ATP signed off and be well on your way to a solid flying career.
This isn't the early 2000s anymore where you need 2000 hours to fly a Navajo. There are lots of jobs out there.
If you get a ramp dock/offer, politely decline and move on. Let some other chump waste a year of his or her life.
You'll have a thousand hours by the time they see the inside of a cockpit.

Can't believe some of you would disparage a pilot willing to pay for his or her training and simultaneously suggest buying a mechanic ticket to get a ENTRY-LEVEL FLOAT JOB.
If they want you to have that then they can pay you to do it. I think 70,000+ is enough of an investment on our end.

Working on the dock is not a way to prove your worth. It's a way to prove how worthless you are. Because if you had any self respect or integrity you'd be at the controls.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Working on the dock is not a way to prove your worth. It's a way to prove how worthless you are. Because if you had any self respect or integrity you'd be at the controls.
That is an interesting comment.

And on what research or experience level do you make such a statement, I have been in aviation for a long time and I do not look down on someone who is willing to work for his/her employer doing other tasks besides flying.

In my opinion it shows a willingness to learn and that is a plus not something to demean someone for.

NOTE:

If you take a job as a dock hand make sure you are guaranteed flying as part of the job, if not then you have made a bad choice.

When first starting in your flying career it can be difficult getting that first job, but if you do a good job for your employer the next job will be easier to get.

As to the cost of getting your licenses that was known before you started and compared to other careers learning to fly and getting the licenses is really not all that challenging and for sure it does not take all that much time in the grand scheme of things.

It is sort of a truck or bus driving job operating in three dimensions that eventually can pay more than driving a truck or a bus.
You paid, what, $70,000 to get your licenses?
In Canada you can get the commercial license in one year for $60,000 from zero hours to the license in your pocket, all you need is the ability to read and write and pass the medical and average physical skills to operate a machine.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Are you serious?

Post by Maynard »

cdntous wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 am
Probably the dumbest thing I've read in a while. Working on a dock shows the employer whether or not you have common sense required to sit at the controls. It shows the work ethic you will carry on while at the controls. It's an introduction to the real life bush flying you'll do, and awareness of working around float planes. I've worked as a CSA, ramp rat, cargo, dock hand/swamper, and not only do I have self respect/integrity, but have earned the respect of others. Understanding EVERY aspect of the job, and how they all work together, is what sets great employees from good employees. (In case you were unaware, there's a lot more to a flying operation than sitting at the controls)

And judging by your comment "In a year, you could almost have your ATP signed off and be well on your way to a solid flying career.", you're one of the typical lets get to the shiny jet ASAP and skip the LEARNING/EXPERIENCE kinda guys. So who's really lacking integrity?

I guess I should write something here.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

And judging by your comment "In a year, you could almost have your ATP signed off and be well on your way to a solid flying career.", you're one of the typical lets get to the shiny jet ASAP and skip the LEARNING/EXPERIENCE kinda guys. So who's really lacking integrity?

That is becoming the norm today for those who want to become airline pilots.

It also says a lot about the level of knowledge and flying skills it takes to fly for an airline if they hire that mindset.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

There was that wilderness air post for their grummans and beaver pilots, that had some major appeal

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Another interesting job add was Pacific Seaplanes that needs two Beech 18 float plane pilots.

The B18 on floats is an awesome little arplane.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”