East Coast Float Operators

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

East Coast Float Operators

Post by cloudrunner »

Does anyone know of any past or present that I may have missed with a Google search? Saw one guy in PEI but that seems to be all.

Why no-one is flying floats in Nova Scotia?

Just Curious.
---------- ADS -----------

Fill the Oil..Check the Fuel
Jet Dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jet Dog »

just south of haifax there use (maybe still is?)to be a a company that did float training (1-c170) run by a guy named David Wilson I believe, did my float course there yrs ago, Daves a really great guy, one of the best instructors I ever had.. other than that NFLD is your best bet a few operators flying floats there

PARADISE
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PARADISE »

Yeah Jet Dog at first glance it may seem strange that there aren't more float operators in Nova Scotia but upon closer inspection it really comes as no surprise. First-NS is tiny compared to almost all other provinces, Second- NS has been settled for over 400 years, so this with the size means that everywhere "good" is readily accessable by car or boat. Also aside from Cape Breton NS's geography is quite kind, lending itself to roads very easily unlike the North or out West.

My last thought is that Nova Scotia can have god awful winters in no way suitable to year round float operation.(think icing)

paradise (an old bluenoser)

The man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today
r22captain
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by r22captain »

Jet Dog wrote:just south of haifax there use (maybe still is?)to be a a company that did float training (1-c170) run by a guy named David Wilson I believe, did my float course there yrs ago, Daves a really great guy, one of the best instructors I ever had.. other than that NFLD is your best bet a few operators flying floats there
you are correct. Not sure if he still has the plane. he was running SFC for a while before they closed their doors. Not sure if he is still doing training on teh side or if he called her quits

DiverDriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DiverDriver »

Did my float rating with Dave Wilson in Waverly. Last I heard he sold his house on the lake and is off fire bombing somewhere.

The last plane being used there was a 172 owned by Bob McFarlane at Porters Lake. He also has a 185. Last time I checked, he wasn't in business to provide ratings or rent planes.

If anyone knows of anywhere in NS to buy time on a float plane, please post.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”