AVCANADA

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:11 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hi Guys,

I'm in quebec and I am looking for 2 things:

1. A supplier that sells AVGAS in barell in either montreal or even cheaper Ottawa.

2. Avgas electric pump setups. I am on the side of the water and would like to setup a fueling station, any one with experience?

Thanks

Cliffy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

When I needed a couple of barrels of avgas delivered to the bush I called up one of the bulk fuel suppliers & asked them if they sold avgas - advised of the barrel deposit & delivery charge & was asked where I wanted it dropped off & who would sign for it.
It was a lot more expensive to purchase in a barrel so it might be cheaper to get a couple of barrels & head to the local airport to fill them.
I should add that their bulk fuel sales listed were diesel,propane & car gas - I had to ask about avgas & they had to check to make sure that they could get it & at what cost.

Daryl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:25 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks!

I found one supplier and it came to over 2.65$ a L! Crazy when buying it by the barrel!!

I'm going to start looking for clean empty fuel barrels and pump at my airport, unless anyone else has a suggestion?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:51 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Not sure if you're in a remote part of Quebec or not, but regardless, $2.65/litre is pretty outrageous.

Here we have no choice but to buy 100LL in drums. It works out to about $1.90/litre, and we're 400-miles from the end of the road, 90-miles north of the arctic circle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:50 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

I know! 5
That was the price for pickup in downtown Montreal!!!

Any one in Montreal have any connections for 100LL drums, I'd even drive to Ottawa!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:50 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

I would find yourself a few barrels, put them in the back of a 1/2 ton and head down to smith falls airport. I think they have the cheapest fuel in the area and it's an automated pump. If you leave the barrels in the truck I'd make sure you connect the ground wire to the barrel. You'll save about $1/L.

I'd guess you'll land up with a 12v pump setup, check princess auto. Just make sure it's for gas not Diesel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:14 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

l_reason wrote:
I would find yourself a few barrels, put them in the back of a 1/2 ton and head down to smith falls airport. I think they have the cheapest fuel in the area and it's an automated pump. If you leave the barrels in the truck I'd make sure you connect the ground wire to the barrel. You'll save about $1/L.

I'd guess you'll land up with a 12v pump setup, check princess auto. Just make sure it's for gas not Diesel.

I'll second that for CYSH prices. It's been the cheapest in the area regularly for years, it probably still is. Just checked on their website: 100LL (24/7) $1.633 per litre (incl. 13% HST).

Otherwise I'll PM you contact info for two aviation fuel suppliers, check with them and see what they may offer you, it will be wholesale price but the charge for delivery and other small taxes and fees may surpass the cost of you buying it yourself in barrels.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:30 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

jg24 wrote:
I'll second that for CYSH prices. It's been the cheapest in the area regularly for years, it probably still is. Just checked on their website: 100LL (24/7) $1.633 per litre (incl. 13% HST).

Yikes! I'm only paying $1.30 in the northern Yukon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:46 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:
jg24 wrote:

Yikes! I'm only paying $1.30 in the northern Yukon.

Yeah, sometimes we catch a break in the north. Here (maybe the same in the Yukon) the government is the purchaser, and if they have a competent person doing the buying, they get a good price. I suspect the fuel we're using now was purchased in May of last year, right about the time the price of oil hit rock bottom.

Current prices:
Diesel fuel (p50) - $1.16
Heating Fuel (p50)- $1.06
Jet A - $1.63
Mogas - $1.20
100LL (drums) - $1.90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:11 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

$700.00 / drum incl. $50.00 deposit... so $3.17 / ltr last summer in YVP My pump is GPI, not sure what make the filter is, but electric is way better than "wobble" pumps, unless you're talking about a couple of drums. If it's for the season then electric is the way to go and a small solar panel will keep your battery charged and enough hose to not have to move the drum around once you have it where you need it to be. Might try Avjet Holdings or Petro T in Montreal. Not sure where to direct you? Northern Quebec is a big place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Thinking about it, I've bought 100LL by the drum and had it delivered to the lake in Matagami if that is anywhere close to your location.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:57 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

I would need delivery to either Montreal, Baie Comeau
Or Manic 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:19 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Cliffy100 wrote:
I would need delivery to either Montreal, Baie Comeau
Or Manic 5

check your PMs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

We used to be able to purchase drums of 100 LL from Hubert (Shell) in Maniwaki - 1.5 hrs north of Ottawa.
Another option which I have done is show up at the airport with 4 certified empty drums on a trailer and just fill them up at the pump.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:32 pm 
Rank 11
Rank 11

If you have not fueled from drums before, buy a dozen donuts and go talk to the helicopter guys. Look at their pump setups, and how they inspect, tilt, filter etc. Then modify it. With a bit of work and a $100 of quick couplings, a bit of modification to a bung, and refuelling from drums is easy peasy.
Filters are important.