AVCANADA

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:33 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Question about water operation regulations.....

As a new pilot and new to floats I have been surprised at how there is not a comprehensive list of restricted waters. In my hunt I have found the, "Historic Canel Regulations act SOR/93-220," which was fantastic. That prompted me to look closely at the CWAS which sends you to, "Vessel Operation Restrictions Regulations SOR 2008-120". That document has listed in it a lot of waterways I had no idea about.

Is there any other publications that I should be checking aside from the 3 listed here? Or is it less about landing and taking off and more about motorized vessel restrictions ( since its a vessel when on the water)

What about landing in Provincial parks? ( looking at Killarney) I have reached out to the Ontario Parks but as of yet haven't heard anything? Any help would be appreciated, I'd hate to land someone I wasn't supposed to just because I didn't know a document existed.
Thanks everyone!

Links below for the ones quoted above and of course the water aerodrome supplement.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... -2008-120/
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... OR-93-220/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:13 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

You're going to have to go on a lake by lake basis of where you want to land. Some parks are completely closed, some not. Some have a no motorized restriction, some have speed restrictions. You don't want to end up like those losers who claimed an "emergency" to be able to land somewhere they shouldn't have. Common sense should prevail here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

For operations in provincial and national parks I have flown, I have asked permission, and received it every time I asked.

Otherwise, I have found that restricted lakes outside parks are usually identified on the chart as being so.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:01 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Just heard back from Ontario Parks. There is a regulation around provincial parks, ( go figure) that lists the park, the restrictions and what lakes are affected. Here is the reg: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/070346

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Another gotcha, as soon as you land you are a boat. There are also rules for boats that you need to know about like right of way etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:55 pm 
Rank 11
Rank 11

So, do you then need a boat license?

I think an aircraft is still an aircraft on the water, but nothing A govt does surprises me anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:16 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Nope,pilot license is sufficient when maneuvering aircraft on the water although you are expected to follow the rules of the water.

Daryl