Regulations around water landings

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Regulations around water landings

Post by waterdog »

Question about water operation regulations.....

As a new pilot and new to floats I have been surprised at how there is not a comprehensive list of restricted waters. In my hunt I have found the, "Historic Canel Regulations act SOR/93-220," which was fantastic. That prompted me to look closely at the CWAS which sends you to, "Vessel Operation Restrictions Regulations SOR 2008-120". That document has listed in it a lot of waterways I had no idea about.

Is there any other publications that I should be checking aside from the 3 listed here? Or is it less about landing and taking off and more about motorized vessel restrictions ( since its a vessel when on the water)

What about landing in Provincial parks? ( looking at Killarney) I have reached out to the Ontario Parks but as of yet haven't heard anything? Any help would be appreciated, I'd hate to land someone I wasn't supposed to just because I didn't know a document existed.
Thanks everyone!

Links below for the ones quoted above and of course the water aerodrome supplement.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... -2008-120/
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... OR-93-220/
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Regulations around water landings

Post by Heliian »

You're going to have to go on a lake by lake basis of where you want to land. Some parks are completely closed, some not. Some have a no motorized restriction, some have speed restrictions. You don't want to end up like those losers who claimed an "emergency" to be able to land somewhere they shouldn't have. Common sense should prevail here.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

For operations in provincial and national parks I have flown, I have asked permission, and received it every time I asked.

Otherwise, I have found that restricted lakes outside parks are usually identified on the chart as being so.

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

Just heard back from Ontario Parks. There is a regulation around provincial parks, ( go figure) that lists the park, the restrictions and what lakes are affected. Here is the reg: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/070346

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Another gotcha, as soon as you land you are a boat. There are also rules for boats that you need to know about like right of way etc.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

So, do you then need a boat license?

I think an aircraft is still an aircraft on the water, but nothing A govt does surprises me anymore.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Nope,pilot license is sufficient when maneuvering aircraft on the water although you are expected to follow the rules of the water.

Daryl

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”