Some discussion about it on Facebook.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Link to fb discussion?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Can't find it again. I commented on it. When I find it, I'll post.

J

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:50 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Kathy Fox FB conversation on Otter prang: https://www.facebook.com/search/str/kat ... kifQ%3D%3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:02 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Why didn't they recommend angle of attack indicators?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 pm 
Rank 8
Rank 8

Cost? Complexity?

A simple buzzer activating a few knots before stall will get your attention, don't need a weird colourful screen.

Plus, recommendations are more likely to be acted upon if they aren't overbearing. Just need to be effective.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Quote:
A simple buzzer activating a few knots before stall will get your attention, don't need a weird colourful screen.

But a simple buzzer will not tell you how close you are to critical alfa.

What angle of attack indicator is on a weird colourful screen?

Do you mean this one?

http://www.alphasystemsaoa.com/

That is what I have in my Cub Clone that I am planning to use for flight training because I personally think it is an awesome teaching tool.

But hey you are entitled to your own preferences I am only expressing mine. :mrgreen:

This subject got me to thinking and I can not recall ever stalling any airplane unintentionally including Beavers.

I have unintentionally stalled the Pitts and the Decathalon a few times while aggressively practising aerobatics but that is something that I suppose is not really unintentional because I was aware that I was at high risk of the thing stalling considering how I was flying it. :mrgreen:

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:50 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Cat Driver wrote:
Quote:
This subject got me to thinking and I can not recall ever stalling any airplane unintentionally including Beavers.

Most people can't. Those who do it usually end up dead.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:10 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

If Beaver pilots are stalling out there are 2 problems: no training and incompetence.

I do remember looking for poachers with Fisheries officer (you can tell how long ago this was) in a 185 on floats, flying over Vancouver Island beaches at about 300.' We were in a tight turn over a group of people vacuuming up the beach (if you lived out here you would know what I mean) and the pax said look, behind us! I was tired, pulled hard to tighten the turn and the poor old 185 gave me a quick buffet and swapped a left bank for a right bank, but because I had practised this MANY times in my flying school with great guys like Ed Batchelor, I just recovered and we flew on. I'm not dead, stupid perhaps, but this is what training can do.

When I flew the Aerostar, at the beginning of the season during the first practise, we would intentionally do a high-speed stall in a turn with the forestry guy onboard to show them what it was and how easy it was to recover.

And Chuck is correct, a stall buzzer on a Beaver would go off routinely when you maneuver, you would just tune it out as a nuisance. A stall-margin indicator, like that in a Firecat, a simple needle gauge and stick shaker which tells you accurately how close to death you are, or on the dash of a Dash 7 which tells you you are perfectly set up for a STOL landing, a much better indicator than a stall horn.

If you don't know how to recover from any stall event, if you never learned how to recover from a spin and you don't practise it, you are doing yourself a great disservice and putting your passengers needlessly at risk.

Turkish Airlines at Schipol? Air France in the southern Atlantic? Yes, it still happens.