Survival Training?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Survival Training?

Post by Lotro »

As luck would have it a dumb city slicker has found himself living in Northeastern Ontario and begun dabbling in float flying and fishing.

I've been tagging along with some people who routinely take their float planes up into the bush, pull out a hidden boat, strap on a small two-stroke motor (which they've flown in) and putt around the lake seeking fishing glory (with mixed success).

Basically, I've discovered heaven.

I have some plans in the works to get access to my own float plane and be able to fly my own similar expeditions, but those plans are a ways away from fruition.

In the mean time, I need to develop some survival skills. If we were to crash in the bush, or in the lake, or have the weather close in on me, or have a mechanical problem I'd probably die before being rescued. The people I tag along with right now are experienced bushwhackers and would keep us alive, but if one of them were injured or otherwise incapacitated, it would be up to me. Additionally, long term, I'd like to lead a few expeditions and introduce this "heaven" to my friends where appropriate. So I need to learn and develop some skills.

The internet is laden with resources on this topic, but I'm not trying to be the next Bear Grylls or whatever, and I find it overwhelming. I'm guessing a few of you have had some survival training and a few more of you have spent an unplanned night in the bush.

What resources would you suggest I tap into?
What advice might you give to someone starting out?

Thanks for your thoughts, gentle chiding about growing up in Toronto and/or the definition of remote is welcomed.

~Lotro
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Survival Training?

Post by photofly »

This might be an interesting read:
http://www.equipped.org/primer.htm

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Go into a nearby band office and ask them - might be a few members that do some contract training.

chris_h1976
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chris_h1976 »

Hi, I know this post is a bit old, but not that old. As someone else said, I would suggest going to a First Nations band office if there is one around and talk to them.

If you can't find anyone locally to help/ teach you, I would suggest buying a copy of "SAS Survival handbook".
https://www.amazon.ca/SAS-Survival-Hand ... 0062378074

There is way more info in there than you would ever use, but read through and choose some techniques that you feel you could realistically do to cover the basics of survival: 1.Shelter 2.Water 3.Fire 4.Food , then most importantly, get out there and practice them, repeatedly until you can confidently do them. Also, pack that book in your kit bag every time you go into the wilderness (flying or otherwise) and its there if you need it, and if you have free time you can always practice a new skill.

Remember, the most important thing about survival (and really is #1 on the list above) is your attitude. It is what can make a person survive unimaginable situations, or conversely, perish as soon as the going gets tough! And the only way to get a real good survival attitude is to practice those skills, so you have absolute confidence in your skills, and you know you can survive ANY situation.

I'm on my 20th year in the Army with a fair bit of outdoor and survival experience and training. If you ever can make a trip to New Brunswick, let me know and I can take you out and teach you some good stuff.

Good luck,

Chris

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

photofly wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:37 am This might be an interesting read:
http://www.equipped.org/primer.htm
Same site, but the US Army survival manual would be my choice.

http://www.equipped.com/fm21-76.htm

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Down but not Out

www.icsos.ca/References/down%20but%20no ... v%2001.pdf

Hard to come by a physical copy nowadays though.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

Thanks guys for the additional information and links to reading material. I really appreciate it!

I'm a little far from the east coast, but thanks for the generous offer!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”