Road trip in early december

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Road trip in early december

Post by tsukubacpe »

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some opinions whether its a good Idea to do a roap trip in early December. I`m planning on heading out and not stopping until I find a flying job and not a ramp or dispatch position. I ask because everyone suggests doing them early spring so I`m not too sure on what I should do.

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

BC04
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Road trip in early december

Post by BC04 »

That is a tough time of year, a lot of the seasonal operators have closed up shop for the season and are either enjoying their time off after a busy summer or preparing for the sports show circuit in the new year. That being said, hiring for the float season is happening earlier and earlier these days. I would try and contact people ASAP regarding their needs for next season.

Good luck.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Road trip in early december

Post by valleyboy »

Road trips - holding out for a "flying" job - mm -- well good luck with that. You failed to mention what type of job you are looking for. If it's floats December is when the operators are chillaxin from the season and not necessarily into skis yet. Unless you do have a reasonable amount of float/ski/tail dragger time you will not get direct entry flying unless you catch a minnow master some where. Working for these guys you will be swinging a hammer and getting your hands dirty. December most float operators facilities are abandoned.

If you are looking for a right seat 'ho or something similar you might get lucky but most operators have a "pilot in waiting program" Road trips are expensive and while you save band width your resume will be filled and end up in a stack of paper. When I hire I want current resumes so I always put an ad up here and deal with everything electronically. Handing me a piece of paper likely means I will pass it buy anyway. Not trying to sound like a dick here but when it comes to mom and pop operations it's a matter of right place at the right time (usually an electronic CV) but off the street hires are almost always hired as a grunt. The market is so volatile most resumes are considered out of date 10 minutes after you walk out the door.

Having said all that. Jobs are plentiful (I understand 1st one is more difficult) and progression is like a rocket. Upgrading to capt on a 'HO at 500 hours was unheard of 10 months ago just as 20 years ago left seat on a cabin class twin require over 3000 hours. Times are changing. Stay safe.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”