Hartzell 3-blade Beaver prop

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Hartzell 3-blade Beaver prop

Post by Castorero »

Some years ago I took this prop off the Beaver and replaced it with a 108" 2-blade slingshot and have never looked back.
The difference in performance on floats is noticeable to be sure, but I kept the 3-blade around in case the other did not pan out or would shake the front off at low rpm.
This new prop turned out to be almost as smooth as the 3-blade and it has remained on the machine since.
The only complaints have come from the odd light sleepers at the lake in the early morning.

I had forgotten about the Hartzell until recently when a hangar clean out revealed it still hanging on the wall where I left it.

I think it is time to let it go to a good home as it only has 700 hrs SN and it has never seen salt water, but it is time expired and needs overhaul.

I wonder what it is be worth ?

Any thoughts?

Castorero
---------- ADS -----------

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Hartzell 3-blade Beaver prop

Post by DonutHole »

Private message me.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

3000ish?

Sitting for long time is not good. How long out of inspection?

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

Hellian, it has been off the plane 10=11 yrs, in the interior and the hangar is heated...

It may be better to have it overhauled it first? Then sell it?

It may dispel any concerns about internal corrosion etc and it would be ready to go... just a thought

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Castorero please check your private messages as I have replied.

peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterdillon »

I would certainly get that prop overhauled. No reason it will need anything major. We had a brand new 3 blade on ours and let it out that we would sooner have a 2 blade and I had multiple calls in no time wanting to buy it outright. So we rethought what we were doing and kept the 3. Had a 2 on a previous beaver and liked the performance. The 3 still pulls decent but is super smooth so thats the trade off. With legal loads its all we need. If it was like the old days when it was what load it would take off with there would be no question it would be the 2. The lower TBO with the 3 kind of sucks though.

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

Any idea what a spinner for that 3 bladed Hartzell is worth? I have a pair of them but neither one has a backplate.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”