Ornge less than 500 hours

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

ExtraButtery
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ornge less than 500 hours

Post by ExtraButtery »

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has any info on Ornge (lifestyle etc.) Would anyone think they can hire @ less than 500 hours total time or is that a hard rule for government medevac contracts?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ornge less than 500 hours

Post by AirportCoffee »

Seems like it's the single engine FO minimum for medevacs in Ontario. Twins look for at least 1000 TT with mpic depending on where you go.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

The 500 hours is a hard minimum as per the ministry of health. As far as 703/medevac goes Ornge is hard to beat. For schedule its a 4 on 4 off rotation between day and nightshifts or day and afternoon shifts depending on base, Shifts are 12 hours long extendable to 14 on overtime. Vacation is bid by seniority but you usually end up with pretty close to what you want, Home most nights with the occasional duty out. Training is terrific and all done in the sim in either Dallas or Denver over about a week. Salary is above average as far as the PC12 goes, the F/O's start at 45ish and Capt at 90ish increasing yearly and the O/T bumps it up quite a bit as well.

Hope that helps,

Cheers.

ExtraButtery
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ExtraButtery »

Thanks everyone,

Graduating flight school this year..... deciding how I can get to that majic 500 hrs so I can work at Ornge for a bit

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

Get a gig flying meat bombs around, or even survey/pipeline. Those should get you to 500 easily before the end of the summer.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

I apologize for this question, because I'm sure the answer is on this forum, but I have not figured out the best way to search it. I to would love to become an FO for Ornge one day but what I have yet to understand is how does the FO build PIC time? or essentially move up to Capt?

Again I apologize, I have been looking all evening....

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

Fly for someone else that needs Cessna 172 or 206 skippers...

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
ExtraButtery
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ExtraButtery »

Has anyone heard about opportunities with Wasaya?

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

TwinOtterFan wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 pm I apologize for this question, because I'm sure the answer is on this forum, but I have not figured out the best way to search it. I to would love to become an FO for Ornge one day but what I have yet to understand is how does the FO build PIC time? or essentially move up to Capt?

Again I apologize, I have been looking all evening....
Once you have a job as an FO, you build hours and complete training programs. Do some Sim, pass the rides and tests and voila, 4 bars. It is NOT a 705 operation.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Heliian wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 pm Once you have a job as an FO, you build hours and complete training programs. Do some Sim, pass the rides and tests and voila, 4 bars. It is NOT a 705 operation.
Well that is awesome news, I hope I get the opportunity one day to fly with them.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”