Globalstar sat phone

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Globalstar sat phone

Post by tazin river »

Thinking of getting a portable sat phone. I am familiar with the Iradium and like its dependability but they are expensive!

Is the Globalstar sat phone reliable in northern Canada? Say between the 60th and the 70th parallel?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

joeryo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Globalstar sat phone

Post by joeryo »

Send me a PM. I can give you a good deal on an older used iridium phone setup.

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sunk »

From a guy that had both phones, stay away from the global star.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Globalstar has supposed been upping their coverage, but the whole purpose of a sat phone is you need it to work when you need it to work, bar none. Iridium is too expensive but unfortunately worth it. My experience is a couple of years old though.

Runway51
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Runway51 »

I had bad luck with Globalstar in an incident that could have been catastrophic, that was the end of that. I operate in the 50th and have not heard a lot of good about it from others here either, as late as last year. I have been carrying an Iridium sat for several years with good success, have also had the InReach (uses the Iridium system) for 4 years and it works great also for what it is intended. I would not risk my life on Globalstar for a few dollars savings.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

You can occasionally make a call with global star at those latitudes. I've never had an iridium fail.
If you don't need voice, an in reach offers excellent remote communications at a fraction of the cost.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I wouldn't bother with a globalstar sat phone if reliability is a concern. never had an issue with a iridium satphone, but i have had a spot not work (which uses globalstar). iridium is particularly better anywhere mountainous or at northern latitudes.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”