2021 beaver salary

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: 2021 beaver salary

Post by scdriver »

North Shore wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 am My suspicion, and inclination, is that only about 2500hrs of that time is applicable. Whooshing along at FL360 in a jet isn't exactly building 'useful' bush time towards driving a Beaver- it's just padding your wallet and logbook. You might get some acknowledgement of your higher time, but questions I'd be asking of you are when was the last time you actually flew in the bush? What is your plan for when the recall comes? Am i going to be short a pilot on two weeks notice (or less) if your airline or corporate gig calls you back in the middle of July? At least if i hire a low-timer, I know that s/he's going to stick around for the season..
That's likely what I would ask too but apparently he's got a seat so someone is happy to hire high time jet drivers.
---------- ADS -----------

FloatyMcFloatface
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FloatyMcFloatface »

It's moments like these which inspire me to press on with aviation and become the one on the other side of the desk, influencing natural pilot progression in the industry.

That being said, I hope it's like putting on an old shoe for you. Have a good summer, Frank.

leslats
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by leslats »

Dear NorthShore,
Thank you for sharing your inputs. You have formulated a few questions that I would like to reply to. But first I would like to thank all those companies that I flew jets for at FL360. During all those years they gave me rigorous periodical trainings that I believe made me a better pilot (CRM, high altitude chamber, fire suppression in cabin simulator, aircraft simulator, first aid training, decision making seminar, route checks). For me, as a pilot, it was ''useful time''. I learned a lot. Now, the last time I flew in the bush was in 2010. I flew PC-12 on the Baffin and Ellesmere Island (Pangnirtung, Grise Fjord, Kugaaruk, Gjoa Haven, Artic Bay, etc.). At some stage I was living in a refurbished container in a makeshift camp near a DEW line site. The company I worked for was mandated to clean up the site. Does it count for ''bush time'' ? If you are looking for float time, then it was in 1980; DHC-3 on the Ungava and Hudson Bay coast, from Ft. Chimo to Great Whale, or Kuujuak to Kuujuarapik for the under 47 guys. What will I do if I am recalled? I sealed my agreement with my actual employer via a ''1980 style handshake''; the one that means something, like it was in those days. It took me 45 years of hard work, discipline and sacrifice to earn a modest but decent reputation. I won't scrap it, it is not me. Interestingly, during my career, I witnessed pilots, low and high timer, jumping jobs in a middle of a contract for different reasons (higher pay, promise of a captain seat, better working conditions, etc.). Low or high time made no difference, so treat well your employee. NorthShore, don't be jealous, please be happy for me. I am just a ''seasonned'', ''vintage'' pilot who wants to meet again with his first (and still) love! Give me 1 or 2 seasons, then you can ''grab'' my seat. Cheers!

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Honestly, all time is overrated, and all time is good time.

Going into Fort Scrotum for the 500th time isn’t exactly honing your skills any more.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

‘Bob’ wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:38 pm Honestly, all time is overrated, and all time is good time.

Going into Fort Scrotum for the 500th time isn’t exactly honing your skills any more.
Good point, but given the choice for a beaver seat between a highly experienced jet driver, who is likely an excellent pilot, and a guy with 5-10K float hours I'd take the float guy every day of the week. The thing about your float legs - you use em or you lose em.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Well, considering that probably 90% of float drivers in Canada lose them every October, it shouldn’t be a big deal.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

‘Bob’ wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:12 pm Well, considering that probably 90% of float drivers in Canada lose them every October, it shouldn’t be a big deal.
Maybe, but there is quite a difference between 1980 and last October.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Not to an old guy!

Edmund
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Edmund »

My son is making 7k per month this season on the Beaver for his third season on floats. He does put in some long days but enjoys the work

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”