* AvCanada's Home Page * Photo Gallery * Topsites *Weather * Media Kit
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

[ 20 posts ] 

Which of the following companies would you prefer ?
Air Tindi 65%  65%  [ 62 ]
North Wright Airways 13%  13%  [ 12 ]
Arctic Sunwest Aviation 22%  22%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 95
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Here is my situation... Tindi and NWA have both shown interest in my application and I figured that I would also ask about ASA. What I would like to find out, is if anyone would suggest one of these three companies over the other. Considerations that come to mind are pay, location, ramp time, aircraft, and similar topics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:47 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

And what do you have to offer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:51 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I predict this post will be pulled before the end of the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:55 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

if you have a few years to burn working the ramp, pick tindi...

I have no idea whats up with the other two :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:38 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Check pms.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:36 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Powerplante wrote:
Here is my situation... Tindi and NWA have both shown interest in my application and I figured that I would also ask about ASA. What I would like to find out, is if anyone would suggest one of these three companies over the other. Considerations that come to mind are pay, location, ramp time, aircraft, and similar topics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking entry level work in the territories. In addition to Powerplante's questions, what is the non aviation atmosphere like? eg. cost of gas, and how the northern living allowance works (I heard it's just a cheque every month but I want to verify that). I'm sure there are other differences from life where I am in Thunder Bay. Thanks to all those that reply.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:55 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

you got it. it's a $1,700 cheque mailed to everyone each month on the 15th. you get your first cheque the moment you step off the plane. there's a pretty lady handing them out. come on up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:52 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Northern living allowance will give you 7.50/day to deduct on your taxes at the end of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:59 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Go to Yellowknife! Best thing I ever did! Work hard play even harder and get some sold experience out of it! ASC or Tindi can both be good places to work. You will get out of it what you put in so keep that in mind. As for time on the ramp you might aswell roll the dice. Depends what time of the year you are hired but anywhere from 1-2 years is the norm. With 250hrs its a great place to start!!!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:21 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

I'm not a huge NWA fan but on the up side they have a high rotation of pilots and you would prob advance faster with them then the other 2 airlines, the down side would be shitty pay and a bi-polar boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:35 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

True story. Two guys, let's call them Neal & Bob :lol: , graduate same class at Mount Royal. Neal goes to NWA, Bob goes to ATL. Neal starts flying a 206 3 months later. Bob starts flying after 2+ years, right seat on the Twin Otter. Within a matter of weeks of Bob getting his first check out as an f/o, Neal goes Captain on the Twin Otter.

NWA may not be the greatest company around but you sure can't say you don't progress quickly. ATL is a great company to work for but with the industry booming the way it is these days 2 years, hell even 1 year is way too long to ramp.

Something to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:54 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I have to agree with flynnfiddle, go with NWA, you will be flying faster and upgrades are quicker there as well. Sure you have to live in VQ, but I presume you are young and single, a few years up north will just add character, lol. All and all it is a descent crew up there, and I am sure you will end up having fun (as strange as that sounds).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:08 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I'm wondering where the 6 came from that voted for ASC. (vote stuffing I imagine)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:28 am 
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hey McSly I thought I told you never to come in here again!! :mrgreen:

Settle Down! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:05 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

haha :D

...I got you visual over the Horn Plateau.

You down in NZ again??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

:? Hi everyone .. just wanted to know if anyone has some new information about Air Tindi and North-wright I am in the same situation and not sure which one to choose...thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

NWA has bonds - :toimonster: .
ASW and TINDI are the same for ramp time, maybe quicker at ASW.
TINDI has 2 year wait (1 year too long with pilot market the way it is) but has a huge fleet that could provide you with expereice to do direct to airlines, good pay (for rampies) and good working condtions. (actual shift scehduled with OT).

Sorry for vagueness I got to watch what I say. :smt014

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:17 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

seriousflyer wrote:
NWA has bonds - :toimonster: .
ASW and TINDI are the same for ramp time, maybe quicker at ASW.
TINDI has 2 year wait (1 year too long with pilot market the way it is) but has a huge fleet that could provide you with expereice to do direct to airlines, good pay (for rampies) and good working condtions. (actual shift scehduled with OT).

Sorry for vagueness I got to watch what I say. :smt014

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:04 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

ASC was bought out by Ledcor and rolled into Summit. They changed the sign on the building last week.

Ledcor grounded then sold 4 entry level airplanes. The King Air, 99, and both navajo's.

There is a log jam of entry level ppl doing ground jobs competing for a couple of Twin Otter spots. Right seat on a Dornier requires an IATRA ( Do you have the 250TT required to validate the exams?).

Ledcor has advised staff that there will be layoffs in the fall as the pilot group will be seasonally adjusted.

Between this, the long wait times at Tindi, and the limited amount of flying going on at Buffalo, Yellowknife is fast becoming the place NOT to go and get a career started.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:26 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Very well put, couldn't be more true.