First pilot job in agricultural aviation : salary ?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Flying-Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

First pilot job in agricultural aviation : salary ?

Post by Flying-Fish »

Hey guys,

I hope to start working in the Ag industry in spring but, out of curiosity, I was wondering what could be the wages for my first season ?

Thanx.

Fish
---------- ADS -----------

GUMPS
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: First pilot job in agricultural aviation : salary ?

Post by GUMPS »

Is this your first job, or just your first job in the ag-flying?

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

From a previous thread you started, I already let you know about the Ag Course insurance requirement for those insured with CAAA. So best of luck if you are trying to avoid that!

Typically you will first start out mixing chemical on the ground and be worked into a seat at the end of the season or the start of the next. $15/hr is around standard for 40 to 80hrs a week depending on which part of the season. There is usually always something to do in the yard even if an airplane doesn't turn a prop. I highly recommend this approach as you will learn a TON. Pick the brains of your co-workers, observe what everyone does differently, keep in mind what constantly breaks and goes wrong, etc...this will really prep you in the long run. Though it happens, I wouldn't say Ag flying is an entry level job for the 200hr wonder and not for anyone without some tail time under their belt.

Your first flying season is typically not too lucrative, but don't worry -- the money will come. Avoid thinking about the money because this will end up getting you hurt ... there is not a crop out there that is worth your life. Take a professional approach, and stay safe! Most will see around the +/- 10k acre mark their first season. The boss is really doing you a favour not over working you. The first season is all about bringing the machine back in one piece (and not dragging anything home with you...). Regardless of what the boss gives you, you are not going to be terribly productive in your first season, and this is ok. You can easily be overwhelmed, exhausted, sleep deprived, and mentally drained in this industry. Know your limits. If you have a good boss, they will try to prevent this from happening in your first season. We have a short season here in Canada from June to September and it is a bit of a rat race come July and during bug runs. You can fill the void by sticking around for harvest and working for farmers.

You will more than likely be paid per acre or by percent for your first flying season. It seems that SK, MB, AB are in the $1.25-$1.50 per acre range or 15%-29%.

Have you secured a ground gig or seat yet?

Flying-Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flying-Fish »

Hi,

No, that's my first job in the Ag-flying (I've already been flying for some years, instructing, aerial photo, etc...).
You will more than likely be paid per acre or by percent for your first flying season. It seems that SK, MB, AB are in the $1.25-$1.50 per acre range or 15%-29%.
Ok but... what does it looks like at the end of the months (around $1000 for 2 weeks ? Less ? More ?) ?
From a previous thread you started, I already let you know about the Ag Course insurance requirement for those insured with CAAA. So best of luck if you are trying to avoid that!
The company I hope to fly with is not in SK, MB or AB and asked me nothing about any requirements like Ag-courses or whatever...

Thank you.

Fish

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Flying-Fish wrote:Ok but... what does it looks like at the end of the months (around $1000 for 2 weeks ? Less ? More ?)
Not to quote myself but....
Adam Oke wrote:.... Most will see around the +/- 10k acre mark their first season...... It seems that SK, MB, AB are in the $1.25-$1.50 per acre range ..... We have a short season here in Canada from June to September
Here is the math:
10 000ac x $1.25 = $12 500
$12 500/3 months (mid June to mid September) = $4166.66 gross per month

I haven't heard of any pay scales coming from QC, nor do I know about their agricultural season, so these figures could be out to lunch. Every season is going to be different. You could do 40 acres one week, or 10 000 acres the next. This industry is unpredictable and dependent primarily on disease and bugs which varies due to the seasons weather. How your boss is going to pay you, will be between you and your boss. I request "x" amount bi-weekly, and I am paid out in lump sum at the end of the season, or I stretch it out into the winter.

Flying-Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flying-Fish »

Thank you Adam, that answer is really clear.

I really hope to start that season !

Fish

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Flying-Fish wrote:Thank you Adam, that answer is really clear.

I really hope to start that season !

Fish
Best of luck, and I wish your crops many disease and bug disasters! :mrgreen:

lowlevel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowlevel »

Anyone here do any forestry contracts lately. Just curious if the work is as peachy as it sounds, other than being away from home for an extended period of time.

desert goat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by desert goat »

Hi all-
While we're on this, can anyone offer comment or past experience with the ag training programs offered by Canadian operators (e.g Battlefords) versus some of the operators in the States that are listed on the Canadian aerial applicators website? There seem to be some fairly dramatic cost differences between operators, does this mean that the training obtained is also markedly different? Everyone likes to save money on training, but Ag flying doesn't strike me as the sort of thing you want to be getting half-baked training in.
Thoughts, anyone?

dham
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dham »

Who get's paid 29%?! I consider myself well paid at 20% and have only heard more if guys are managing an operation.

As for Forestry, it's all right. I'd rather be spraying in the Prairies, but worth doing considering nothing else is going on.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”