Colorblind float pilot??

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

max1090for2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Colorblind float pilot??

Post by max1090for2 »

Hi, I'm an australian float pilot interested in doing a season in canada. I am color blind, this doesn't affect me in australia except limiting me to aircraft below 12500lbs. I belive it is possible to get a commercial licence in canada with a few restrictions. I was just wondering if you are employable as a float driver in canada if colorblind?

Thanks for any help :D
---------- ADS -----------

flyingsaucer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingsaucer »

one thing is sure you can't fly at night!!! and with floats either so it's OK I guess

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Yes you can fly commercial floats here if your colour blind.

One thing I noticed about pilots and others who are colour blind in the Reds and Greens is they can sure spot the moose and other huntables better than the non colour blind. I wonder why that is? :roll:

beechnut
Rank 3
Rank 3

colour blind

Post by beechnut »

I am color blind as well and have flown in Canada commercially for the last 34 years

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I also am color blind, there are hundreds of happy women around the world who can testify to that fact.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

Cat Driver wrote:I also am color blind, there are hundreds of happy women around the world who can testify to that fact.
you man whore.

In a good way of course

:-)

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

max1090for2,
you shouldnt have trouble getting a float rating here being colourblind. h

however i do know it can be a pain in the ass to convert to a Canadian licence...also unless you are a dual citizen will have to get a work visa

max1090for2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by max1090for2 »

Thanks for the help

As i'm still under 30 i'll be applying for the working visa which should allow me to work for a season, I can get a canadian medical from a doctor in melbourne i'm told. What does the conversion require? is it just a conversion theory exam and a flight test?? and i asume i could do this in a float plane?? ive got about 4400hrs tt but only about 700 on floats 500 of these in a caravan. I will most likely try and get over there for the 2008 season and hopefully will have cracked the 1000 float mark by then, would this be enough to get a look in?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

With 4400TT, 700 on floats and 500 on the Caravan, you could pretty much pick your gig.

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/gener ... l/fore.htm

thats the link to Transport Canadas info on Foreign Applicants, but you may also want to check out the CARS as well (there is a link on the above url for them)

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

Having just quickly taken a look at the TC link i provided in the above response it looks as though you will need to do the written exams, do a medical and then practical flight test. Also supply a logbook to TC so they can review it

max1090for2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks

Post by max1090for2 »

ptc and 180 thanks heaps for the info :D

looks like it's back into the books for a bit of study ! But i can't wait to get over and check it out! from what i've heard it is an amazing place :D

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”