Pix From a Swamper - Remembering Craig Chenell

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Pix From a Swamper - Remembering Craig Chenell

Post by Rudder Bug »

My swamper Craig did that one Saturday while we were making a fuel cache up north. Send your pics rampies and swampers, they're way better than your PIC's pics!.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Rudder Bug on Tue May 27, 2008 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

This was taken by the chopper pilot last summer, Im landing the Islander at Copper Point in the Yukon. Not quite a swamper but I think its a great shot!!

Last edited by ScudRunner on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Great one ..!

How have you been by the way?

Gilles (Dawson City last year)

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

Bush Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bush Man »

I'm not sure who this "swamper" you call "Craig" is, but I think he is amazing and I think he takes fabulous pictures!

Last edited by Bush Man on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

You betcha!

Are you a chick from Quebec by any chance? I have a plug if you're interested.

I am Craig's new manager and rather business minded.

(Hank your pics have been processed and you too will have one published here soon. Thanks for your excellent swamping today. Your common sense and sharp eyes saved us a lot of time and fuel. I owe you a cold one bud)

:drink:

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Is that first pix a PC6?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Look at the rudder outline most likely the tubo swine

Bush Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bush Man »

It's a Turbo Otter.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Things are great unfortunetly im in Manitoba and its just as flat as the rippers at Fire and Ice! lol

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

.....I have to tell you that the pictures you post of the north really make me pine for the area. I left Canada nine years ago and lived up north in the early 80's.

You never really appreciate it when you're young. You look at working in the bush as the time builder to get to the better job. And I say that as a generalization. All too often (pre 9/11) when I would ride jump seat on a long haul commercial flight, I would ask the crew where they started and what they were flying. Many would recount stories of Beech 18's, Beavers, Twotters, Pigboats and living and flting in the bush. ALL of them look upon as the best time in their life.

Seeing every one of your pictures takes me back there, so, a heartfelt thanks. Canada has stunning geography and you are fortunate enough to fly in one of the most beautiful areas on this planet.

Keep the blue side up.

bmc
ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Thanks for your comments. I really apreciated my time in the bush learned alot and had tons of fun! And its probably the most scenic area in Canada to fly.

I miss the flying I would do there, VFR around those mountains low level in all weather conditions I never got boared of it. Perhaps it was something about getting a set of co-ordinants and going out and figuring the rest out as I went really was alot of fun! Landing on the sides of Mountains and not one runway was ever straight or the wind never was blowing down the centre line.

I wanted to get some IFR time and turbine and check out that side of the game but jesus now out in Manitoba driving a PC-12 there is nothing to look at and IFR in a modern machine, there is no real flying to be done. Every runway has lights on the sides and passanger dont like cranking around at treetops to check out the moose you just passed at 230 KTS. Someones always watching you and telling you where to go, I feel bad for people that have only experianced one side of flying and pity those who never wanted to go North.

Like the saying goes its not where you end up its the journey. Now that more $$ is flashed in front of me its going to be tough to have that level of job satisfaction again, but once I get enough to get my own toy, you better believe that ive still got the Co-ordinantes to the best fishing spots and the nicest areas to camp! :wink:

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Ten years ago I was invited up to Hardy by Daryl Smith. My dad had some Goose time in his logs from WW2 and Daryl has the wreck up there. He also stuck me in the right seat of a Goose for a day of flying. On one of the legs, we were the only two in the airplane. That one hour leg was at an altitude of roughly 30 feet give or take 20.

The guy flying had 5,000 hours of single Otter time and considerable time on the Goose. In the summer, after a day's flying, he would often climb into his Luscombe T8F with a bag of dinner, and fly up the coast, land on a deserted beach and have supper.

We had a long chat about flying careers and at one point he said, "you know I really should go for the AirBC job and get the bigger turbine job and move up the ladder". I looked at him and just couldn't picture him in a white shirt listening to some guy tell him when to climb, when to turn, when to descend, blah blah blah". From my view point, he had the best job in the world.

The last I heard of him, he was chief pilot on the Martin Mars out of Sproat Lake. To me, for him, that was the pinacle of a cool job.

We are often swept up by moving forward and often fail to look out the window at the scenery to the left and right.

I guess the images you post take me back to time and place where I had too much fun (for my health and sanity). Follow your bliss. At this stage of my life, I've come to the conclusion that we're all climbing a mountain. Some of us get up a hundred feet, like the view and stop climbing. Others go higher and stop. And others keep going until they find their spot on the mountain.

Do me a favour. Keep posting pictures.

cheers

Brian

aka bmc

Last edited by bmc on Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bmc
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

And others keep going until they find their spot on the mountain.
And I am one of them Brian. No white shirt, never ever.

I am going for a Nahanni tour tomorrow. I'll take some shots just for you, and for what you wrote above.

Please give me a couple days to upload and post.

Cheers

RB

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Hey ..,

All that crap you hauled into Deloris, this is where it ends up.... If you look really hard in the last one, that's your old airstrip down in the bottom of the valley. Hope you're enjoying the summer, I'm home on days off, give me a shout if you're in the area.

Talk soon

stl

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

You're making me scared of heights STL!!!!!!!

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

I love showing pics like that, its like you landed where?? looks like the boys are having fun. Say Hi to everyone for me and keep them safe out there.

But aparently I don't know anything about Mountain flying
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=32426

buck82
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by buck82 »

But you were flying in the valley .. no?

:D

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Sometimes I think Sky's the Limit's folks had him just to make me jealous.

-istp :evil:

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

My version of "Big Red", taken by a local photographer from shore. He managed to get it on airliners.net.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Nice shot Ragbag,

How many years has he had that now, 7 or so?

stl

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”