Harbour Air Pay

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Harbour Air Pay

Post by phillyfan »

Just wondering if anyone knows what the pay scale at Harbour Air is. I've heard plenty of rumours but nothing concrete. I've heard people say $80,000 a year for guys who have been there a while and i've heard $25 an hour.
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Philly its doable at $25.00 per hour, all you need to do is work 3400 hours per year, around 13 hours per day for around 22 days a month.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Must be really boring when the wx is good

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
Unusual Attitude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Unusual Attitude »

I'm not sure what the starting wage is but I imagine you're pretty close at $25 an hour (duty time). I believe the senior guys make around $34 an hour which works out $80-$85k. 160 hour guarantee for the winter months and time and a half for any hours over 173 each month. Pilots generally fly 200 to 230 hours a month for all but about 4 months of the year on a fixed 4 on, 3 off schedule. It was recently rated one of BC's top 40 companies to work for -- you don't hear that everyday about an airline. Also an RRSP revenue sharing program and jumpseat agreements with most major airlines.

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

Unusual Attitude wrote:I'm not sure what the starting wage is but I imagine you're pretty close at $25 an hour (duty time). I believe the senior guys make around $34 an hour which works out $80-$85k. 160 hour guarantee for the winter months and time and a half for any hours over 173 each month. Pilots generally fly 200 to 230 hours a month for all but about 4 months of the year on a fixed 4 on, 3 off schedule. It was recently rated one of BC's top 40 companies to work for -- you don't hear that everyday about an airline. Also an RRSP revenue sharing program and jumpseat agreements with most major airlines.
Kinda hard to fly 200-230 per month and stay within the CAR limits.

Besides, Cec would kill you for doing it. Not sure of how many guys do those duty hours even..

The rate varies with what type of airplane you are flying or qualified for. Newbies could start at 22/hour where as stated above, 34 is not out of the equation. Where you fit into the picture is decided by people above my pay grade..

It's a great place to work and I have no regrets. It makes my last place of employment look like a joke, and most would have wanted to work there until they got bought out..

Unusual Attitude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Glad someone's paying attention. 200 to 230 hours duty time of course.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Thanks alot for the info guys.

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Hey Phillyfan,

Cec's job is on the board today! What amazing timing! :D

Radial
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Radial »

Where's Cec going?

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

I was gonna ask too

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
Unusual Attitude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Too much paperwork as CP -- Cec wants to do more line flying.

billekens
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re:

Post by billekens »

Unusual Attitude wrote: Pilots generally fly 200 to 230 hours a month for all but about 4 months of the year on a fixed 4 on, 3 off schedule.
I think that this quote is a little off...
I have worked for Harbour Airlines and I have never seen any pilot in the eleven years that I was there fly that many hours. The average for a full time pilot was more around 800hrs/year.

I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.
floats4fun
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Harbour Air Pay

Post by floats4fun »

How many hours do you need to fly with them? Does it have to be all on the West Coast?

billekens
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by billekens »

floats4fun wrote:How many hours do you need to fly with them? Does it have to be all on the West Coast?
I do not know at this time what the requirements are. I am speaking of twelve years ago when I was working for them. At that time, the minimum requirement was 2000hrs total time with 1000 hrs on floats. I know that pilots with minimal, less than 100hrs, float time have been hired by Harbour Air but that was only one per year and he/she would only get very selected flights. I do not know if they still do this.
Twelve years ago, Harbour Air had a training school for float endorsements and the best pilot out of the school would be hired for the season. As their operation has changed dramatically with aircraft requirement, I doubt if they still do this. They now have a fleet of nineteen Turbo Otters and their pilots are all cracker jacks in their trade. The charter department with Cessna 185 and Beaver has become minimal at this time as scheduled service has become the mainstay. Harbour Air has in their employ pilots that have been there for more then twenty years and that in it self speaks for the caliber of the company.
I wish you good luck

I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

I've yet to see a solid answer to the original question? Now that they have a new add up I am considering them. It would be nice to know what a starting Beaver and Otter driver makes there per month. Is it worth staying over the winter? And considering what they make, is there any affordable and nice housing nearby? I'd hate to bring my car to downtown Vancouver.

Thanks.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

"...is there any affordable and nice housing nearby? I'd hate to bring my car to downtown Vancouver."

No.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Well I know housing isn't cheap, I meant in terms of what they pay you. I'm curious if I can find a place close enough to take a short bus ride or walk to work.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Victoria, probably; Vancouver, probably not... do you want to rent or own? A quick glance at MLS.ca gives you 1 bedroom apartments starting at $166k within walking distance of downtown YYJ..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Thanks for the pointer. As for renting or owning; depends, do they earn the same income year round? Otherwise I would only stay for the busy season.

boozy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by boozy »

With respect to the payscale question here. Does anyone know what the monthly pay roughly works out too? If say, your qualified on the beaver. Or if your qualified on the Otter. And if there are any of the pilots from that area surfing this thread. How do a lot a lot of guys get around for living expenses and such? Would appreciate details. Perhaps there's some bargain rentals in the area?

If there's anyone that could perhaps elaborate extensively on what its like working there, living there, pay vs bills, day to day flying...that would be great.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”