Aviation Degree?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Kinson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Aviation Degree?

Post by Kinson »

Hi all, im an Aviation student from England checking out the Bush Pilot scene as such. Ive just returned from Hamilton, ON, id taken 5 weeks out there and realised how much better (and i mean a lot better) life is over the ocean compared to here.

I was just wondering if anyone here has any quick suggestions on how to enter in this field from scratch. Well it wont be totally from scratch, im half way through my degree now and will graduate with a full PPL, other than that i'd be new to the aviation field outside of university.

Im not really looking to enter straight into major-league commercial flying (jets that is), but would prefer to focus on the smaller side of GA and others.

Just wondering how easy it would be for me to set up over there?

Cheers for any replies!
---------- ADS -----------

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Not to discourage you, but it won't be easy. Nowadays, it seems most guys starting out have to work the dock or the ramp for a spell before getting on to something. And if you really are interested in bush flying, you'll probably change your mind about how good life is over here when your stuck in the middle of B.F. Nowhere on a reserve or something. But like I said, don't let it discourage you, I'm just telling it like it is. It wasn't that long ago when I was in your shoes so PM me if you want.

PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

If life is so bad over here go home leave a job open for one of us that live here :evil:

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

If you are going to come to Canada and try and break into Aviation the first thing to do it get used to the great distances in Canada. I remember in the early 80's a British Chap right from England came into the company I was working for at the time looking for a job. He had landed in Toronto bought an old car and headed on the road. After 3 days of driving he was still in the same province and couldn't believe it. He told me in Europe he would have been through 5 countries in that time. He finally abandoned his cross Canada trek and headed back for Toronto. He thought he would just drive across Canada in a couple of days and find a job. Don't know what ever happened to him.

Good luck and please ignore the previous post!!

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

PT6-114A wrote:If life is so bad over here go home leave a job open for one of us that live here :evil:
Read it again PT6 he is writing from Britain.

Kinson,
CL-Guy is correct it's one big country. The distances are enormous if you travel by car. I've lived here most of my life (I'm well past 50 ) and I haven't even come close to seeing all of it. I still haven't been to Yukon, PEI, and Newfoundand/Labrador.
Hamilton Ontario is as far from bush flying as you can get in this country, you'll need to take at least an 8 hour car trip north to scratch the surface.
There are basically 5 problems with bush flying and you'll have to decide if it's right for you.
1) Cold and I mean friggin cold
2) Bugs and I mean lots of bugs, biting blood sucking stinging (spring & summer only) thank God for the friggin cold.
3) Hard dirty work. No white shirt and clean hands flying here.
4) Little to no support structure in the small companies you'll start with, worse if you and your boss don't see eye to eye.
It'll be even worse for you with family over the pond.
5) Your first 2 years wages will be at or below the poverty level, again remember your nearest support is across the pond.

Now if you still want to be a bush pilot in the greatest country in the world your either crazy or a stubborn SOB.
Me... I'm crazy. Would I do it over again? I don't now It's a pretty good life I've carved out but I'm from here and it was easier for me than it'll be for you.
How I entered the field from scratch was knocking on doors.
After an 8 hour drive in the car it's hard to smile but smile you must, let em know your a people person. Their customers are their life line and your wages. Let em know you'll be good for business. They won't give two shyts about your Aviation Degree or book learnin.
Don't ask for the chief pilot as soon as you pass through the door. They probably don't do the hiring anyway. It's probably the office manager/ owners wife or the owner who does it. You only get one chance to make a first empression make it good. Talk about the big fish on the wall. Most of the places you'll start are mom and pop operations. Show them you can be one of the family. Remember your other family is 4000 miles away.
This always worked for me.

squawk 1276
Kinson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kinson »

Thanks a lot for the replies, some good info in them. I took a look at the aviation fire management in Ontario, quite interesting.

Just something i want to add, basic rental of a single piston is roughly 110 pounds per hour (about 280 Canadian). Its not nice :)

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”