Who is better to work for Nakina AS or Keystone?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

higherthenakite
Rank 1
Rank 1

Who is better to work for Nakina AS or Keystone?

Post by higherthenakite »

Just wondering who is better to work for I just finished my commercial pilot's licence and am looking for my first job I have hears good and bad things about both companies. Or would it be best to wait till spring and find a job when the hiring for the year is best?

Thks
---------- ADS -----------

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Who is better to work for Nakina AS or Keystone?

Post by just curious »

I believe the search function is your best friend at this point.

DHC3Rwannafly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC3Rwannafly »

good company shit town, or better city shit company....take your pick.....

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Hey, don't you be calli' Winnipe s... oh, never mind :oops:

farm_boy252
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by farm_boy252 »

if you had an option C, i would be picking it.

higherthenakite
Rank 1
Rank 1

thks for the info i did do a search that is why i posted. Any help for a first job would be appricated.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

it's your first job - every one is going to be a sandwich comprised of two slices of bread wrapped around a thick layer of some smelly brown substance (not marmite, either!). You mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take a large bite, and chew, and say thanks to the guy giving you the sandwich.

As jc has said elsewhere - have fun, we all did!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
jamesbay
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jamesbay »

Guys starting on the dock at NAS are makin' $16/hr, you certainly won't starve.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I'd be looking for a third option as well. I'm not a big fan of companies getting cheap labour by making pilots work ramps/docks, though 16$ an hour is better than most, you are a pilot.
I'm really against paying money up front for jobs. I know Keystone will want you to arrive on the scene with a cheque book. That, and their past history of ignoring fuel situations would lead me to treat any offer from these turkeys like the plague!
Of the two, and only of the two, Nakina wins....hands down. But, I'd keep looking.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Nakina

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
higherthenakite
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ok does anyone have ideas where to apply? Should i get a float rating and try and find a smaller company to get a job with?

Thks

Stefan Finucan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stefan Finucan »

$16 to start. Most senior guy making $20 right now.

15 on 5 off with a weekend off mid 15 most rotations. Probably will change to 20 and 10 soon. The rotation style sched is to accommodate trips home for guys from out of town (4 of the 6).

A little flying right seat Caravan, but just enough, really, to keep your hand in it until a full time flying position comes available.

Quite a nice little town actually. One I've made home. Wouldn't say at all that it's a shit sandwich, although I do recognize the tribulations of inexperienced pilots. Wasn't so long ago I was in your shoes.

Resumes are always welcome to plan ahead, but we've got a group of great guys on right now filling all available positions.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Cheap labour :roll:. There are 704 captains at companies across Canada making less than those ramp guys do.

higherthenakite, other routes to consider are becoming a flight instructor or possibly lucking out and finding an entry level flying position. Both will offer PIC time but neither will pay very well. So that's the trade off you must consider. You will also most likely need costly additional training (ie. instructor rating, or float flying rating and experience). Breaking into aviation in Canada is not easy and usually requires working in places others would rather not go or for low amounts of pay but usually not both. If you want it bad enough you will make it happen. Good luck to you.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Everyone has their own preferences as to where they live and fly.

Some of my most enjoyable times in aviation was spent in what some call " shitholes "

To each his / her own I guess.

Stefan , maybe you could get some of these city boys some " real " pilot things so they won't feel so amateur as they move to and fro around the airplanes.

What would be real neat is baggage /flight bags they can drag around behind them...wheels may not work to good but maybe you could design some with tracks on them like a caterpillar bulldozer......that otta make e'm easier to drag through the mud in the summer and over the snow in the winter. :mrgreen:

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I'd pick Nakina, myself. You won't find too many entry-level employers who take into account the fact that some people might like a day away from work now and then. I spent 7 years in NW ontario and crossed paths with the Nakina guys now and then. They were all doing the same stuff as me, and seemed happy enough. I'm one of those guys who happens to think a little time on the ramp never hurt anyone. The thing is, some time on the types of planes they run will provide a solid base for your career, and you'll learn some lessons about flying in Nakina that you won't flying for Keystone. North Shore is right, if you're a new guy you'll have to kiss someone's butt and pretend to like it. Might as well be someone who can teach you something.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Keystone wanted money up front when I was their. It was a hard decision for me at the time. Looking back I'm really glad I didn't take it and found a job that trained me well and paid me for it.

stringbender
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stringbender »

Wouldnt Keystone want 1000 hours for single pilot IFR or is it a job as FO and they are giving you a PCC, and charging a big bond for a PCC and minimal training. Personally go where you dont have to pay. If something better comes along you can always leave.

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

Millie and Don are great people. You'll get an education there.

Jim

Patrick_Swayze
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Patrick_Swayze »

Jungle Jim wrote:Millie and Don are great people. You'll get an education there.

Jim

They are great people and you will learn alot there....Just watch out for "The Champ"

goat1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by goat1 »

Nakina is absolutely one of the best companies I've ever worked for. I would suggest anybody who just got their license to apply to Nakina. You'll get lots of flying hours, lots of great experience, and be able to pay off all of your debt. The company has been around for ages and has proven itself to be a stable, no BS company with little to no politics. Everbody is straight up. I've had some of my best years up there and I regret moving on. It was one of the only flying jobs where you fly your bag off, make great money, and your home for supper, 97% of the time, everynight. Great people. As for "the champ", if you can't handle him, you're weak....go work for somebody thats nice to you and won't teach you half as much.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”