Photography Questions and Tips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Photography Questions and Tips

Post by enbt »

I've got a couple of bags which I can choose from, depending on the mission. A big backpack which holds everything - nice to have everything in one place, but not always so portable or convenient.
If space is limited or I'm on a day trip I'll take a smaller bag which can hold a body with a telephoto lens attached, plus has room for whichever second lens I think I'll use and a couple basic accessories. If space is really limited I have an even smaller bag which can just hold a body and large lens and room for a filter and a few other basics.

A combination of a big bag to hold everything, plus a small bag to keep close by in the plane or for short trips, would be quite versatile. Lowepro bags are very good although I've had a few issues with zippers. I think most of the larger new ones have a space for a laptop.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Would you guys stop talkin' about your 'big' or 'little' bags :mrgreen:

Seriously though.. I bought an amazing backpack that fits all my gear, is super stealthy, incredibly comfortable and fairly space conscious. I'll post a pic when I get a better connection..

garf_II
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by garf_II »

hey, I guess this is part intro (new to AC-hello!), part response

any film shooters on here?

I shoot both myself, but mostly still using medium format film.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

garf_II wrote:hey, I guess this is part intro (new to AC-hello!), part response

any film shooters on here?

I shoot both myself, but mostly still using medium format film.
Yes! Actually I recently started shooting medium format after being exclusively digital for a couple years.

I just got my first couple rolls back that I ran through a Lubitel 166V TLR and also acquired a 2x3 Sheet Film Graflex Century Graphic that I'll be using.

Even though the TLR had a light leak (easily found and sealed)... I am hooked on 120!

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Pics as promised of my camera bag..

Incredibly inconspicuous and zips from the `back`side. I`ve got my 70-200, 50mm, 28mm, 10-24, lensbaby, a flash, a stack of filters and a couple remotes in there and theres room for another small prime.

jetblast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jetblast »

[quote="Rowdy"]I still havent figured out how to fix crooked shots in photoshop, so I cant help you there. [quote]

I know it might be late of a reply, but to staighten the image in PS, use the ruler, draw a line on the horizon or wherever to that would get the image straight, go in edit, image rotation and choose arbitrary. that will rotate your image as per the line you drew with the ruler. Then crop the image to get ride of the black (or whatever color is defined as your background).

Hope this helps.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Looking at getting some ND filters.. dont know too too much about them. Wanting mostly to blur water movement during daylight. Anyone care to shed some light (pun intended) on what I'm looking for?

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Rowdy, where'd you get that camera bag and how much did it set you back? That's going to be the next thing on my to-buy list for photography equipment.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Rowdy wrote:Looking at getting some ND filters.. dont know too too much about them. Wanting mostly to blur water movement during daylight. Anyone care to shed some light (pun intended) on what I'm looking for?

Cokin 'P' System.

Get the filter holder and the square filters. much more versatile than the screw on ones.

I got my hands on this "Landscape Photography" magazine for the Sydney-Port aux Basques Ferry ride that had talked a lot about ND and GradND filters. Might be able to dig it up at Chapters.

Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

I'd agree. Go with the Cokin system. You can stack the filters at your pleasure and do some really cool blur stuff in bright daylight. If you can find it though. They are going out of business and their filters will be like gold soon.

tired of the ground
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tired of the ground »

I've just recently got a new DSLR. All I've ever had was a point and shoot in auto mode. I was wondering if there is a "from the ground up" kind of book about photography?

OHMYLANTA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OHMYLANTA »

tired of the ground wrote:I've just recently got a new DSLR. All I've ever had was a point and shoot in auto mode. I was wondering if there is a "from the ground up" kind of book about photography?
photography for dummies is a good start. The internet was a great resource for me when I first started. Check out Jared Polin on youtube he has great videos for beginners.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Kind of wanting a Leica X1 or a fuji X100 these days for compact go anywhere fantasticness.. Anyone have any experience with higher end fujis? I know they have some incredible color rendering... Anyone shooting with Leicas? My mom had one of their rangefinders (film) when I was young and she loved it..

Ohh and the camera bag was just shy of $200 with taxes. Got it after a lengthy search through all the junky lowepro stuff and then heading for broadway cameras in richmond.

Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

http://player.vimeo.com/video/20589087? ... lor=ffffff

The camera bag I ended up getting. Cost a bit more at about $300 but well worth it. Dust proof and now that I'm in the jungle, fully waterproof as well. If I get dirty, which usually happens, I just hose my bag off at the end of the day. Just have to remember not to fully close the waterproof compartment when it is in the overhead rack on the airplane.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

New toys..

I caved and bought this aps-c sensored fantastic looking point and shoot (the quality is stellar!!)

Then I saw that polaroid style instants are being made again! This ones also a fuji and well.. I pretty much had to have it. The Camera was inexpensive.. but the film..... isnt! About a buck a shot if I buy in the states.. close to double that north of the Forty Nine.

Next up will be SLR gear upgrades... Debating between the 15-55f2.8 IS or waiting for the rumoured new version of the 24-70f2.8L I'm still shooting with my 7D and dont foresee that changing anytime in the near future..

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

Does anybody have experience with Micro Four-Thirds?

I'm seriously leaning towards picking up a GF1 and a couple lenses to replace my old point-and-shoot.

There is a GFX1 in the rumour mill but I can't find any specifics as to when it will hit the market or what the advantages will be over GF1.

I am reluctant to invest in a DSLR just on account of the weight and bulk. Portability is key for me but I'm keen to play around with different lenses.

'48

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

Does anyone know anything about a web site called Photocase? They buy & sell photos. It looks like they're based in England & popular in Germany.

Prairie Chicken
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I've found, the most important thing about taking great pics, is "right place, right time". Kind of like getting that first job?ImageImageImage

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

Right time, right place! Wow! I'm impressed Doc!

This is a great example of why I'm a proponent of always having at least a point 'n shoot with me at all times. (And yes, I know everyone has their phone with camera but but I haven't seen good quality on the phone cameras.)

Prairie Chicken
atpl53
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by atpl53 »

New Toy.....
Shot with Canon 60D, 70-200mm L IS USM
Standing about 5000' from the threshold of RNWY 30 @ CYRC

Same photo cropped. Minimal noise......I'm VERY impressed with the new glass.

Always remember your flying roots!!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”