Photography Questions and Tips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Photography Questions and Tips

Post by enbt »

Rowdy wrote:I am still ridiculously new to the whole photography portion of things.. A simple canon point and shoot has been the basis so far..

However, have come across a very good deal on a 40D and am wondering what would be a good all around lens for shots of mostly people and stationary things at normal distances? and then perhaps some tips for aircraft and other such vehicles in motion?

Go easy on me.. I'm new and well.. just an underpaid FO with a creative eye...
The 40D is a great body, I just got one and it's a night and day difference over the 20D I had been using. That reminds me I have a 20D I'm looking to get rid of cheap :)

It pays to invest in better glass, even if it means not covering as much focal range as you would have liked. Canon makes a 24-105 now in their L series which are their top of the line lenses. It's an f4 so it's a bit more affordable than the 2.8's but would be a good option to get you started. I've never used it so can't comment on the quality but have several other L series lenses and they are all deadly sharp. There is also a 70-200 f4 L series which is a great option if you want a bit more reach.
---------- ADS -----------

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Pic from a swamper

Post by 2R »

1000 HP wrote:
2R wrote:I know where you can get free Hasslebad camera's .
The shipping and handling might be a shock :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Moon?
Correct.
The apollo programme left quite a few of them up there.
The Soviets also left some interesting equipment up there, much more interesting than little cameras :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

atpl53
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by atpl53 »

One of the points which are rarely ever talked about in lens choices is the distortion factor. The wider the lens the greater the distortion especially near the outer edges. This may or may not be noticeable in the viewfinder. It is always noticeable on the final product. Not important in doing scenery shots but can be embarrassing where straight lines count. Also doing people shots, portraits, will create foreshortening, the tendency to make those things closer to the lens appear larger. Thus the exaggeration of noses in closeup shots. In a word, the longer the focal length the truer the proportions of the shot.

Always remember your flying roots!!
BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

Tips for shooting in flat light?

I was in abbotsford today with some mid level overcast and the light was pretty flat. I had a difficult time getting any sort of colour definition due to the silhouette caused by the flat light. I also had exposure issues because of my aperture setting, because I had to darken the overall image the dark spots came out black... not a lot of definition. My equipment is kind of lacking though, canon s5 IS

I was thinking a polarized filter might work but Im a newb at this photo thing.

I gotta resize some images here, I'll post some up tomorrow

enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by enbt »

A polarizer is probably the single most useful filter you can get. Works great in lots of different conditions and it's effect can't be replicated by software. I almost always use one in overcast light or especially after rain, although it will cost you a few stops worth of light. Can you use one on an s5?

Tips for shooting in overcast...try to keep the sky out of the shot as much as you can. An overcast sky will throw your meter off causing an ugly overexposed sky every time. Use your swivel screen and hold the camera up over your head, climb a ladder, fill the frame with your subject or whatever you can to keep the sky out. If you've got a tripod and some computer skills you can take a few images of the same subject at different exposures and merge them into an hdr image to capture the full range of light to dark.

But sometimes the light just plain sucks and there's nothing you can do.

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

+1 (pretty smart for a Canon guy there pal :lol: )

I recently picked up a 10-24 wide zoom and am really kicking myself for not grabbing a polarizer to fit it at the same time. Great lens, but a few pictures have turned out rather disappointing and could have been saved with a polarizer.

BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

as promised, #3 p-51 f-16 heritage pass

#2 CF18 painted in centennial colors.

#1 panning on a highspeed f18 low pass

Actually now that I have let them sit for a day I am pretty happy with the results. The lighting was challenging but I think I managed to mitigate the effects to the bets of my equipments and my operational ability.

Attachments
f18zoom.jpg
f18zoom.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
CF`18nice.jpg
CF`18nice.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
f16p51.jpg
f16p51.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 6227 times
ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

First try and the northern lights...

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Couple from the "breakfast nook" this morning, BC Coast.

stl
GTL_3171-2.jpg
GTL_3171-2.jpg (896.97 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
GTL_3162-2.jpg
GTL_3162-2.jpg (538.72 KiB) Viewed 6041 times

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

sky's the limit wrote:Couple from the "breakfast nook" this morning, BC Coast.

stl
GTL_3171-2.jpg
GTL_3162-2.jpg
Differences aside. Damn you take good pictures.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
northern33
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by northern33 »

Hi STL,

Great pictures. It's one of the best things on AV Canada; looking at all of the great aviation shots! When the weather sucks and I can't fly, it's the next best thing.

I'm looking for an opinion on an upgrade. I've been playing with DSLR's for a couple of years now. I am now realizing the limitation of the lens on the camera (kit lens 18-200mm IS f3.5-5.6). I would like to invest in a new lens, but am starting to wonder about the body itself. The body is the Canon XSi (450D).

All of my shots are for personal use, I have no time to even try someday to entertain selling my photo's. I print my photo's on my own printer (Epson R2880).

Even though I don't aspire to hang my photo's in a gallery, and I print them off at home; I still want to make sure I am getting the most out of the shot. As well as getting the best bang for the buck in available technology.

I also use a printer calibrator as well as a monitor calibrator to try and correct any obvious flaws.

So, the question is whether it is actually worth looking at a full sensor DSLR like the Nikon D700 or Canon 5D? I guess the big question is how much to expect out of a good lens if I am using an APS-C style sensor like I already have.

I haven't invested that much in the camera so that I couldn't change brands now.

Sorry for the long email...

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Thanks for the comments guys, always nice to know people are enjoying them. It really is one of the most redeeming things about Avcanada, seeing what we're all up to across the country and around the world.

Northern, I'll try to answer your questions, and give you a couple ideas that you may or may not already know to improve your shot quality in an economic way. (just wasn't in your email)

So, in a word it depends.

You're going to hear that a lot from me, because depending what you like to shoot, where you shoot, how often you pack your camera gear around with you, will affect what you buy.

Of course shooting top-end gear will provide top-end technical results all other (human) factors being equal. That's why we pay the big dollars for it!

The issue with top-end gear is weight, cost, and the over-kill factor. It's very easy to get pulled into buying a camera that in reality is WAY too much for what you're using it for. That said, top-end gear is built very durable, lasts a long time (lenses, bodies come and go in the digital age), and provides excellent quality.

The D700 is a fantastic camera, the baby brother of my D3 plus/minus a couple things. What sets it apart from the D300 is that is shares the same colour software, programming, and full-frame sensor that is in the D3, and it is the best out there at the moment, hands down (with the 5D coming close from what I hear). I'm not up to speed on the price-point on the D700 anymore, but with all the extras that you DO want, bigger battery/grip, etc, flash, then your lenses on top of that, it's not going to be cheap. I have found over the years that investing heavily in good glass is an excellent rule of thumb, but with the advances in colour software and auto-focus systems these days, it becomes very easy to justify that next price point on the bodies as well.

The advantage of the D700 is that it is a substantial camera, and with the extended grip/battery, you have the balance to use the bigger top end lenses (if you like) which tend to weigh in more than lower end glass. Conversely, if you're packing the thing around on holiday removing the bigger battery/grip makes it much easier to carry. Weight is something I do curse from time to time when I'm not working with the D3.... Being on holiday with it is a commitment!

There are other lower-end bodies than the D700 that will work just as well most of the time for significantly less money. That said the D700 is a wonderful camera used by many pros for a lot less initial investment, and the software really does set it apart.

I can't speak to the 5D as I got out of Canon two years ago when I gave up my 1D Mk II and related suite of lenses for the D3 which was a quantum leap in quality/usability.

Sensors.

Again, depends. Using a full frame sensor is great when you've invested in top notch glass, as you get what you're paying for in the wide-angle sense. If you're shooting a lot of telephoto type things, wildlife, action, etc, then taking a 1.5X penalty on the sensor can actually be an advantage as your 200mm becomes a 300mm which is great. On the other side of the coin, your $2500 14-24mm becomes a 21-36mm... not what you want when you've spent that kind of money.

I'm not sure I'd use anything other than a full-frame anymore, but I do occasionally rent lenses for jobs that require reaching out with bigger zoom than my 200mmF2.8. It gets expensed anyway....! Collecting lenses is something that can take years, and they hold value if taken care of, so if you spend a bit more on a body now, there is always time to add glass when you get the money.

Processing.

The other thing to keep in mind is processing software. This has become VERY important in the digital age, and what you choose can make life easy or miserable. Again, it depends on your style, how much time you want to spend processing. I use Adobe Lightroom 90% of the time now, with Photoshop only very rarely anymore. LR is very easy to use and quick - which is important when you shoot a lot as I do, often taking 1000+ shots in a day on a job. Wading through all that has to be efficient and LR makes it simple. Aperture from Mac is also good and of the same style.

With any of these cameras you'll have the ability to shoot in a number of formats, Jpeg, RAW, TIFF, etc. People get on a RAW kick and shoot in nothing but, however ALL Raw photos must be processed as they are functionally incomplete. While shooting in Jpeg (as I do in most situations with the exception of high contrast or low-light scenarios) is easier in terms of file size, and the pictures come technically "complete," they are generally a poor representation of what you actually shot - therefore processing is very important. It is a fast and easy way to immeasurably improve your photo quality for very little investment.

Here are two photos, both shot in Jpeg, one processed in about 3 minutes, the other not. I did VERY little to these, other than sneak a bit closer, but there is a marked difference. You can see a grey "cast" over the first picture which is a direct result of the camera's software doing the best it can to match what I saw - 99% of the time it fails - badly. It aids in removing the inevitable dust spots as well, cropping if you like, and greatly improving clarity.
GTL_3034.jpg
GTL_3034.jpg (445.11 KiB) Viewed 6283 times
GTL_3033.jpg
GTL_3033.jpg (474.43 KiB) Viewed 6283 times

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit, I assume that you are aware of the money involved with going the D700/5D route, but while they represent some of the high-end gear, there are a number of mid-line bodies that perform extremely well for the money and should be considered. A good photographer with a good eye and decent technical understanding can take a great photo with anything.

stl

northern33
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by northern33 »

Thanks STL. Starting to really lean on the Nikon from some of the reviews I've read so far now on the overall sharpness of the images. I haven't heard much either way about the usability differences between Canon and Nikon though. Like I mentioned; I am dying to step up in lenses, but just don't want to start to invest in the wrong body. Christmas is coming, and I am the hardest husband to buy for, so maybe there will be a Nikon under the tree this year.

I'm running a Mac with Aperature and Photoshop Elements. Haven't really spent enough time on either, although I personally find Aperature only really good for cataloguing photos. Could just be me...

If the attachments come through, here are a couple from a recent trip to California. None have been adjusted yet.

Attachments
_MG_0847 copy.jpg
_MG_0847 copy.jpg (266.06 KiB) Viewed 6268 times
_MG_3644 copy.jpg
_MG_3644 copy.jpg (125.02 KiB) Viewed 6268 times
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Nice shots,

Thanks for sharing.

The Nikon is more user friendly in terms of ergonomics. I used to shoot Nikon back in the slide days, then switched to Canon with the 1D series, then was loath to switch back to the Nikon... but it took about 20minutes to remember how much better the Nikon is to handle, particularly on a shoot where things are happening quickly.

stl

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

sky's the limit wrote:Nice shots,

Thanks for sharing.

The Nikon is more user friendly in terms of ergonomics. I used to shoot Nikon back in the slide days, then switched to Canon with the 1D series, then was loath to switch back to the Nikon... but it took about 20minutes to remember how much better the Nikon is to handle, particularly on a shoot where things are happening quickly.

stl
I agree totally. I did a shoot with my sister in laws canon and found myself totally lost for changing what should be simple quick camera adjustments. Things like shutter speed, aperture and even iso settings was very awkward. On the nikon you simply roll a command wheel and your done. I felt the user interface on the canon to be terrible.

Personally that was the deciding point when I got into it. Canon and Nikon are both great and about as close to equal as you can get as far as image quality goes. The usability of the camera has to take a very high spot in your priority list as it is something you use every time you switch the camera on.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

So Northern, make any decisions yet?

One from tonight.

stl

GTL_3436-2.jpg
GTL_3436-2.jpg (499.4 KiB) Viewed 6240 times

northern33
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by northern33 »

STL,

Great shot. Really leaning towards the Nikon. My Canon just lost the internal battery for the clock. It's not user replaceable, so now every time I turn it on it prompts me for the date and time! That may be the push that I need to try a new camera.

Attachments
_MG_2836 copy.jpg
_MG_2836 copy.jpg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

That's as good a reason as any... lol I love "justification" mode.... My wife hates it!

Glad you like the shot, it's off my deck, but this time of year through to May we get such great light it's hard to venture much further to tell you the truth.

Nice shot of the B4, was up at Phoenix in May flight testing their new B3 with full EFIS panel. Here's one from that shoot. When you shoot helicopter's try Shutter Priority and from 1/50th to 1/100th of a second depending on number of blades etc, no higher, just a quick tip.

stl
GTL_0367.jpg
GTL_0367.jpg (1021.15 KiB) Viewed 6230 times

rightseatwonder
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by rightseatwonder »

just to wade in here for the canon side... many of the bodies have many different ergonomic setups and differences.. once you step up out of the consumer models, into prosumer or pro, the bodies are metal not plastic, larger and just feel better in your hand.

every 18 months or so new bodies come out and everyone dumps theirs for the ridiculous megapixel race (and then never prints anything larger than post card size)
this makes craigslist etc full of newish bodies that will do an enthusiast just fine for the next few years if not longer. I got my 40d with 17-85 mm lens for $500.00 and it was basically brand new.

go to a shop, try them all out. see what feels better in your hand, and decide what you want to shoot. do you need 8 frames per second for fast paced action , or are you never gonna need that and would use a high ISO setting capability more often. read reviews but remember most prosumer models of canon or nikon are near identical in specs etc. for the same level. its the glass you will see your moneys worth... but its also never ending.

you can go to nearly any reputable camera shop and rent many lenses... for maybe $40 for a weekend and try it out, see if the flexibility is worth it. but if you're new to photography in general, you'd be smart to learn to take just about any picture you want with your kit lens. you'll finally see where the limits are gear wise while pushing your own creatively. just go out and try

then go out and get that $2500 ultra-wide angle lens/$3000 telephoto!

get a circular polarizing filter for sure, and learn to process RAW format, just for the sake of it. then decide if you want to shoot in RAW or JPEG depending on how your body model is set up to do that.

just remember, if you shoot in RAW, more than likely in camera sharpening is turned off and you will be wondering why the images are not so sharp... and if you're like me, you'll start blaming the lenses!!

lesson learned just in time before i went out and spent too much money ! lol
happy shooting!

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

I'm in the market for a program to both organize & edit my images. I know stl uses & likes Lightroom, and I'm hearing good things about Elements. If I understand these two Adobe programs correctly, Lightroom is primarily an organizing program with some editing capability, and Elements is primarily an editing program with some organizing capability. Is that correct? Has anyone here some insight or experience with both that you could share with me?

Prairie Chicken

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”