Beaver vs. Norseman

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Trevor »

Never flown either of those birds, but man I'd love to.

In all fairness to the Norseman, you've got to put it into the proper context. It was designed in the mid-1930s as a replacement to all the ad-hawk mini-airliners turned bushplanes like the Fairchilds and Fokkers. At that time it was a great plane.

Fast forward almost a decade. DHC comes along and asks bush operators what they're looking for in a new bushplane. Surprise, surprise, they all ask DHC to fix the short comings that ten years of heavy service have shown the Norseman to have. DHC fixed them and made the Beaver and the Otter.

Both planes can do what's asked of them. But it shouldn't be a surprise that the Beaver does it with a little more grace.
---------- ADS -----------

Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor
bornagain1340
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bornagain1340 »

Just finished up my first season on the old Norseman and would definately do it again. My previous float experience was all on beavers and otters and after a two year break from the float flying gig...let's just say that it was a whole new ball game. The simple fact is that it's not a DeHavilland so you can't really even compare the two. But it's still an airplane and as long as you treat it right it's a good machine. I think the key is patience...empy or full you just put a Norseman on the step and patiently wait...and wait...trees are getting bigger...still waiting...starting to sweat a little...still waiting...
A good piece of advice I got from an old Norseman pilot was this: "Take all the room you need...then take half as much again."
If you ever get a chance to fly a Norseman I'd say do it. You'll be a better pilot for it.
Cheers.

onceacop
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by onceacop »

For making money on the short runs, the Norseman can really earn its keep. I have witnessed a MKV haul 4 average adults (#200 each) not the old (#170). With 2 Grumman Sport Canoes tied on each side (they weigh #112 apiece). Cargo included screen house, 2 tents, 36 gallons fuel and 2 Yamaha 8hp motors. Then all the sleeping bags, tackle, coolers, and food for 4 for 5 days. No Beaver could handle this and the Otter cost at least double the Norseman. Like I said they make money. Forgot to mention that there are only a few AD's on the Noorduyn.

Athabascan Quote: "Know one knows the ways of the wind or the Caribou".

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”