2010 season.. hows it looking?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: 2010 season.. hows it looking?

Post by FighterPilot »

Got my job driving floats in NWO. Things can't be that bad.

"I'm doing alright, getting good grades... My futures so bright, I gotta wear shades... " :smt025
---------- ADS -----------

pilotbc69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotbc69 »

Good on all of you who did get work this summer. No matter if it's sitting right seat in an Otter or loading/washing planes being treated like a slave. You are all one step closer to getting behind the wheel (unless your first job is of course). Remember there is always someone watching and sometimes it's the guy with the positive attitude who gets the first shot at actually flying. Unfortunately sometimes it's also due to someone's age or who they know but sometimes you can't change that. And those of you who haven't found anything yet don't give up. Sometimes people with the wrong attitude make room halfway through the season. Good luck to all.

DHCdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DHCdriver »

Cat Driver wrote:We shall discuss insurance in July when I should be on the way back home.

In the mean time you are in the best end of flight training now and it will only get better.

The secret to a successful sea plane training business is only hire the best teachers and keep building your reputation. If you can't find them just stay a one man operation.

A good sea plane instructor should make at least as much as any other high time pilot.
Never get down in the mud and compete with other operators by selling yourself short cost wise, always charge enough to pay yourself and your employees a good wage.
Amen.

floats4fun
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by floats4fun »

As we talked about last summer I am not a great fan of selling 50 hour bush flying courses as I feel the course should be geared to meeting a set goal and standard not a fixed hour standard.

If I were an employer a certificate of accomplishment from a reputable good training establishment would trump any 50 hour course.
Where do people get the $$ to pay for 50 hours in this day in age? This is how we end up with a pool of soft/sheltered little pricks who work for nothing. Mom and Dad pay for little Jimmy to do something with himself because they're worried video games are taking over his life...don't worry about the expenses Jimmy, we'll take care of that...sheesh I cant believe 50 hour courses are still around.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I still dont have nything locked down for 2010... :rolleyes:

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Wow, I think I contacted almost every employer on the planet, single/multi, floats/wheels. Only got 2 intrerview/offers. I feel sorry for the low to mid time pilots! :roll:

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

Wow, I think I contacted almost every employer on the planet, single/multi, floats/wheels. Only got 2 intrerview/offers. I feel sorry for the low to mid time pilots!
ditto

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

aviator2010 wrote:
Wow, I think I contacted almost every employer on the planet, single/multi, floats/wheels. Only got 2 intrerview/offers. I feel sorry for the low to mid time pilots!
ditto

Being one of those low-timers, I appreciate the sentiment. I have sent out easily 100-150 resumes, maybe more, and only had a couple of "We'll keep your resume on file" responses. I just earned an IFR rating last week so it gives me an excuse to update my resume and follow up with all of them again. I think a road trip will be in order after the easter weekend.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Lost Lake wrote:Wow, I think I contacted almost every employer on the planet, single/multi, floats/wheels. Only got 2 intrerview/offers. I feel sorry for the low to mid time pilots! :roll:
I've been back and forth with a couple of guys.. but its the same story "we'd like you, but we wanna wait and see how it looks in april/may" I feel for all the low time and high time guys... slim pickins as everyone waits to see how the bookings are gonna be

floats4fun
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by floats4fun »

Are years like 06/07 few and far between in aviation? Or does anyone predict it will eventually come back to that steady stream, once the economy rebounds?

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

As the majority of float flying is tourism based, and price of a barrel is still on the up swing, as is our dollar - expected to remain above (US) par for a period of a year or more - I would think that the picture is going to get worse not better.

Add in the fact that the US economy is still worse off than ours and few Americans have passports (their requirement not ours) and the usual insurance, fees, and other misc costs, the Green Movement (dirty little airplanes) and well...better look for a new market or find a use for the floats; catamaran? canoes? Planters? Maybe BBQs? Expect more of the smaller guys to disappear.

(FWIW - I hope I'm wrong)

charlo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by charlo »

So I guess it's normal that I still haven't got any answers yet from the float companies ? I'm a low timer with a basic float rating...I can't even get a damn job on the dock

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I'm still looking for a solid season.. if anyone knows of a good spot, pms are more than welcome :wink:

Puba Maxwell
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puba Maxwell »

To all the noobs. If you want a job get in your car/truck and get out there and shake some hands. This world is run by people not by paperwork :) If i were hiring a pilot i'd either want a solid resume n ref's or for a low timer, meet him/her in person... Sending off resume's is second best, and the only reason i am doing that this year is because i can't afford to do the road trip.
Peace y'all.

mr.jinks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mr.jinks »

Rowdy,

How are things at borek?

Last edited by mr.jinks on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Times are slow everywhere. Sure hope things pick up, especially at Borek.

Last edited by Lost Lake on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr.jinks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mr.jinks »

I wasn't trying to be an asshole or single him out, just wondered if/how things have changed at borek.

after re-reading what i wrote, i realized it came off abrasive and changed it.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

OK Mr. Jinks, ditto. :smt040

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Well? first week of april.. hows everyone doin?

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

drunk

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”