Wearing a life vest while flying on floats

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Wearing a life vest while flying on floats

Post by photofly »

Background info:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/d ... n-1324.htm

A life preserver (as far as I know) will keep your head out of the water even if you're unconscious. Not so a PFD.

EDIT: ah, there it is-

551.401 Life Saving Equipment Over Water - Life Preservers

(a) Introduction

This section contains standards of airworthiness for Life Preservers required by CAR 602.62.

(b) Definitions

In this section, a "life preserver" is a flotation device, which when properly worn by a person, will provide adequate buoyant force to support the body in a safe and stable position in water and provide a self-righting force to maintain the face above the water; (gilet de sauvetage).
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A life preserver (as far as I know) will keep your head out of the water even if you're unconscious. Not so a PFD.
Correct. PFD's simply provide additional bouyancy, with no requirement to roll you face up. My understanding is also that an aviation approved lifejacket must be dual chamber, and have a water activated light, and whistle, though I know this from training, not 'cause I can pinpoint the requirement in a regulation.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

On floats, I wear a non-certified boating Mustang PFD with the automatic activator removed. I have another one for my passenger . Both are very comforatable and do not interfere with movement in any way. There are 2 certified life jackets in the plane, but I doubt they will ever be used.

I would much rather have a PFD with no paper around my neck rather than a certified life jacket somewhere in the plane that I may not be able to reach.

YMMV
LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I don't want to wade into the pros/cons or anything, but from a strictly logical point of view, if a passenger asks why you get the good vest and they don't, you can earnestly tell them that because they spend maybe one hour a year in floatplanes, and you spend several hundred hours a year in float planes, the odds are definitely in the passenger's favour, therefore the pilot deserves the good vest!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”