Cessna 180

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cessna 180

Post by HS-748 2A »

About the Mogas - I don't know. Opinions of course, are like sphincters; Everybody's got one.

I'm experimenting with Mogas myself, at the moment. No trouble this season so far. Sheephunter also has used mogas, probably exclusively, and I think he's had pretty good luck with it.

An AMO I worked for several years ago had an outfitter customer with a fleet of airplanes, 180, Beaver & a PA-18. He used Mogas exclusivley in all of them and has had no trouble at all.

The ins-and-outs of Mogas are probably a topic for another thread but the reallity is, on floats, you pretty much need it. Particularilly with the 180 which cannot tanker around a great amount of fuel, your destinations and range are severely limited.

'48
---------- ADS -----------

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I used to work on a 180F that used MOGAS. Can't for the life of me remember the engine but I believe it was an R. Anyways, wound up doing a top overhaul with a few 0/80s and nothing above 60. Two broken rings (one had just about eaten into the next groove), two burned exhaust valves, and a ton of scoring on the piston skirts.

All from the MOGAS? Not sure, but $1200~1500 a piece for cylinders plus installation equals a lot of fuel. Plugs were super easy to clean though. :wink:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
nofate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nofate »

I had to have carb on my R model overhauled this summer because it was leaking. The overhauler said there was also problems caused by all the mogas the previous owner burned. I don't know what damage mogas can cause to a carb, but its another thing to look for when shopping for a 180.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

also be extremely careful that wherever you are getting the mogas from that it is 100% gas and 0% ethanol... that ethanol shit will destroy an engine not designed to have it. although most premium gas will be ethanol free its just a thought

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Airtids wrote:HAD one for sale, looks like she's gone, and I'll miss her!!
Make that HAS :oops: :oops: . Deal fell through...

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Dog_River
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dog_River »

Hello Guys,

I am also in the market for a 180. There are some deals around and lots in the states. I have my eye on one now I may make an offer on. If anyone knows of a good one in Canada or the US let me know.

Thanks, Dog_River

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

How much trouble to install long range tanks in the Cessna 180? Cost?

Cheers and Happy New Year

Tazin

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Well, we finally got a Cessna 180...on floats....with the R Cont. engine...and the long range tank....Horton stol kit...thanks for all your advices...

One more question and probably will be even more in the future...

The plane has the new 406 ELT and wondering where do we re-register the unit or transfer the plane owner specs. as per the requirements ( as I think I understand them )

Cheers

Tazin

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

http://www.skywagons.com/modelchgsweb.html

Excellent purchase! Especially with STOL kit, you won't be disappointed.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Glad you got your bird Taz. What year? What floats? I've been watching one for sale on Skywagons.org. 1957 model, no floats, no float kit, over US$300K invested. It sold but I don't think this guy recovered much of his investment.

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

If the ELT is American it may be an issue as the Canadian codes are unique..certainly worth looking into.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

NWONT...

1965 on Edo's 2870....

Cheers

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Taz,thats a good year. Much stronger than the early models yet lighter than the later models. In my opinion thats the best aircraft model, engine model and float combination, probably because thats what I have. Good luck.

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

My cousin has a beautiful 1956 or 7 for sale. New panel, new paint, new interior, half time engine, brand new prop. Edo 2870 float and skis. PM me if you are interested. I gave him his float rating on in in 1997 and fly it a bit myself. I have a fair bit of time on two 1959's. They were all good unless your wife is a 400 pound heffer....

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

1000hp, somethin's wrong if you can't the village queen outta town in a 180, unless of course you're tippin' the scales at 4'n change on a hot day??

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Never heard or seen of a 180 with 170 tail feathers

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Aerocet floats!? What do you guys know about them? Got my plane off the water yesterday and there is a brand new set of those floats sitting right new to where I parked it for the winter. They look great and ....light!

Any of you Cessna drivers flying with them?

Cheers

GreenStar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by GreenStar »

I have had a set of 3500's for 4 seasons, no problems to date. Float hatches are large enough to put in my foldup outboard and they don't leak.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Thanks

What's the main difference (s) compared to the 2870's? Performance? Cost?

Bruno

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

Reviving a bit of an old thread but here goes. Was curious to know if the Cessna 180H,J, or K models were certified for use on edo 3430's. Also was wondering if the mogas STC on the 180 was OK if you happened to mix a little high test remaining in the tank with 100LL or vice versa?

thanks
DPB

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”