Float Training Opinions- GTA

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Ashbringer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Float Training Opinions- GTA

Post by Ashbringer »

a
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Ashbringer on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Float Training Opinions- GTA

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Sudbury aviation is much better than Georgian bay airways. One of their pilots is a member of avcanada, hopefully he will pop up here but not sure he wants me to expose his identity. He is an extremely good instructor/pilot that I did my float rating with.

helpmefly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by helpmefly »

Lake Country Airways in Orillia is amazing! I did my float training there and continue to rent during the float season. The owner Jeff is one of the nicest and sincere guy you will meet. Check out there website http://www.lakecountryairways.ca/

If you have any questions, pm me and I can give more information.

Cheers,
Matt

polar one
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by polar one »

Did you get it done this year?

If not, I will be in the Orillia area for a week or so in the spring, and may be willing to do a rating on a DHC 2.

99% of pilots give the rest a bad name
What we learn from history is that we fail to learn from history
helpmefly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by helpmefly »

polar one wrote:Did you get it done this year?

If not, I will be in the Orillia area for a week or so in the spring, and may be willing to do a rating on a DHC 2.
Your willing to do a rating on a DHC 2? Let me know how much you are charging. I'm interested in getting some hours on one..

mr.jinks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mr.jinks »

I second Sudbury Aviation. Getting a rating in a Beaver might be cool, but for the around the same price, I think 20 hours in a small cessna would look better on a resume than 7 hours in a beaver...

Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Blue Side Down »

Just keep in mind that a Beaver doesn't have some of the quirks that Cessna's do while on the water, and also are able to get out of the corner easily when you almost screw up a docking, both of which may compound and cause a number of 'holy expletives, it's not supposed to be doing this' incidents when transitioning 'down' (teehee) to a Cessna at the first job, if such is your initiative.

Starting in the middle of the ladder might feel good, but there are a heck of a lot of lessons to learn on those bottom rungs that will keep you out of trouble down the road.

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

If your willing I'll sell you a A320 type check but only because your willing

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
polar one
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by polar one »

Blue Side Down,

I agree with what you posted. The Beaver is actually quite a bit easier in most instances to fly, than a cessna. Roomier and nicer to fly and load, IMHO. And it does have some dark sides which can bite an inexperienced pilot.

I dont know the cost. I am guessing (read it again. guessing) About $125. hr plus fuel The plane is privately registered and I will have to look into the whole insurance issue. This was really an offer to help out the original poster and not to run a training unit, or offer time on type..training is hard on the old girl, and it has a spanky new engine and floats. I dont mind a few hours on it.

99% of pilots give the rest a bad name
What we learn from history is that we fail to learn from history

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”