2011 Float Season

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

floatrfun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 2011 Float Season

Post by floatrfun »

A lot of the jobs won't be posted but there is definitely more movement. What's your total time and float time?
---------- ADS -----------

Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

If you still don't have a job just wait until all the flakers decide to jump ship at the last second. If you're in the right place at the right time you'll snag a job. It's pretty much all luck though, hard to guess where its going to happen.

Last edited by Kzanol on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northernflyer1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by northernflyer1 »

There may be a few jobs pop up in the bush yet... don't forget there are a lot of aircraft parked the last couple summers and more this summer. The industry is teetering on the brink of collapse. Maybe take a roadtrip through NWO.

charlo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by charlo »

Well I've only got 220 hours with a float rating but anyway I got hired on a dock yesterday so I'm glad, couldn't find a job last season ! Things seem to be slightly better than last year but I still believe there's not a lot of movement though

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

northernflyer1 wrote: The industry is teetering on the brink of collapse. Maybe take a roadtrip through NWO.
Personally, I think it is changing into the sort of way it used to be: more diverse. An operation can no longer focus solely on fishing outposts, as the generation most interested in that is getting smaller and less inclined to follow their old habits. I find that plenty of nicer lodges remain busy though, as there remains a sufficient market interest in that higher standard of service.

In the outpost business there are still certain companies who regularly fill their bookings, even with very little marketing.

In the past two years I have seen a decline in outpost fishing trips, but there have been other markets opening up to fill the void. I have probably done an equal amount of flying for mineral exploration lately as I have for fishing trips.

My perspective on this certainly reflects the career movements I have made, toward dedicated air services with a mix of clients and away from camp operators with their own airplanes. However, these air services have noted such a changing trend in their own experience, and are striving to adapt in the most appropriate manner.

There will always be floatplanes flying around, but there may not be as many and not always with the same purpose. Floatplanes have their niche between helicopters and conventional aircraft that makes them the most economical choice in certain environments. I don't see the market changes as "dying", but simply evolving with the times.

floatpilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatpilot »

In our business the ouposts have picked up and the american plan lodges have slowed. what is different now is we are seeing alot more families coming for a vacation compared to just "fathers and sons". I think it has alot to do with our old faithful customers are just getting too old or have past on, and the new generation doesn't see the "fishing trip to canada" the same way as past generations.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I was speaking with my boss from last year just the other day and he echoed that statement floatpilot made.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

Hey, that's good to hear!!

I guess it's just different in the companies I've been involved with in recent years.

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

floatpilot wrote:In our business the ouposts have picked up and the american plan lodges have slowed. what is different now is we are seeing alot more families coming for a vacation compared to just "fathers and sons". I think it has alot to do with our old faithful customers are just getting too old or have past on, and the new generation doesn't see the "fishing trip to canada" the same way as past generations.
Same thing we are noticing here as well. However, reservations are up from this time last year. The high Canadian dollar isn't helping the situation though...

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

I might know of a sweet position (my old job!) which is up for grabs in NEO for 2011. Higher time guys with -2 time pm me if your looking....
Would go back and work for this outfit in a heartbeat....

Stian
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stian »

Sorry guys, to come in the middle of the conversation with one question.

I plan to do on a road trip this year, but I am not sure when start? I don't want arrive too early and no to late too!
I know I will probably have to waiting littel bit, but I don't want have to wait a month.

I want consentrate my research in the north of Ontario.

Sorry also for my english.

Stian

Developing Application for Pilots.
Looking for pilots to test my applications. contact me at info@aerostian.com.
kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

Inexperienced pilot asks advice from experienced pilot.

IP: Should I go on a road trip?

EP: Do you have a company in your home town that might hire you?

IP: No

EP: Go on road trip.

IP: When should I go on a road trip?

EP: Do you currently have a flying job?

EP: Then now would be a good time to start looking.

IP: But what if no one hires me this early / late in the season

EP: Go back to top of message and start reading over and over until you come up with your own answer.

Stian
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stian »

kevinsky18 wrote:Inexperienced pilot asks advice from experienced pilot.

EP: Go back to top of message and start reading over and over until you come up with your own answer.
Far I know the float plane don't land on icy lake! So doing a road trip when all the lodge are closed is it may be not a good idea?

May be for the summer some compagnies need more hand on the dock?
When I have to be ready for this time?

Stian.

Last edited by Stian on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

Stian wrote:

You don't have a more smart answer to give? far I know the float plane don't land on icy lake! So doing a road trip when all the lodge are closed is it may be not a good idea? no!

...What do you think about that?

Stian.
Hey Christian,

The advice was genuine. It is what I would give to any who ask.

Best of luck with your job search

kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

Stian wrote:

You don't have a more smart answer to give? far I know the float plane don't land on icy lake! So doing a road trip when all the lodge are closed is it may be not a good idea? no!

...What do you think about that?

Stian.
Hey Christian,

The advice was genuine. It is what I would give to any who ask.

Best of luck with your job search

Stian
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stian »

Thank you Kevin!

Have a good season.

Stian.

letsfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letsfly »

If the question is "when do I start the road trip looking for work"?

Simple answer. If you are not working then start the trip. If you impress someone with your appearance and resume they will never forget you, especially when they are looking for someone.

Is there a better time? Possibly, but use one simple rule that I learned years ago looking for my first car. I was told "if you are waiting to get all the money in the bank before you buy, it will never happen". If you wait for the perfect time it may never come.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

If you are not working, you should be actively looking.... sending out resumes, making phone calls, getting everything lined up to make the road trip. Remember there is only one perfect time to be on a road trip and that is when the operater realizes he needs a pilot right now and doesn't have one standing in front of him and shizaam, you show up. From when you start looking might be too early and when you finish might be too late but somewhere in between is the perfect timing. Once you get a job, never quit looking or making new/more contacts. As well, like someone else said, make sure you know how to sharpen a chain saw, overhaul a Honda carb, learn something about outboards like change a lower unit or at least the impeller and maybe how to wire or plumb a cabin or prime the pump. The handier you are, the better. Good luck.

Stian
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stian »

sheephunter wrote:somewhere in between is the perfect timing.
This is excally what I looking for. When begine this timing? January is too early and August probably too late.
I'm ready to wait some week if necessary, but waiting 2 months become unproductive. My idea was to start the road trip next week, but after few phone call I realise is it may be too early, and I can't find where is the good timing. In two week a month?

But I realize after your advise, soon is better.
sheephunter wrote:like someone else said, make sure you know how to sharpen a chain saw, overhaul a Honda carb. Good luck.

I worked in the bush for many years, and I know use and doing the maintenance of a chain saw. And lot more.

Thank you for your advise, and all have a safe and a good season

Stian

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Straightforward answer.. Just as the ice is starting to break on the lakes. A lot of guys flake out or find better spots or better pay right around then. There is no EXACT best time to do this.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”