Carb Ice/heat in 180

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Carb Ice/heat in 180

Post by sheephunter »

Same question. My personal experience is once the weather gets colder/more moist that I will create ice on take-off (floats). I'll use heat on taxiing and run-up. Need the power w/o heat to get off the water but once in the air need to hit the heat almost immediately and it definitely coughs and sputters but is also at that point where you really don't like using the heat because of loosing power to climb but don't want to neglect it either. What is the "proper" thing to be doing here? Also, same type of day CHT gauge will run well into the red (warning of possible ice) and hit the heat with no indication of ice. So, I quit worrying about that too much unless drop in MP or roughness and to run it at yellow/green with heat makes for a lot of cleaning the white cowl from rich exhaust. Also, noticed this happens worse with mogas than 100LL. Is this my imagination or real or just coincidence that the days with mogas just happened to be days more likely to gather ice? Anyway, just gathering information and opinions. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Carb Ice/heat in 180

Post by black hole »

Well with the 180 in the cold weather: you have to install a restictor plate over the air filter.
Although I cant Quote an SB, SL or whatever. This alway cures the problem. The plate is just a piece of aluminum with abour a 2" hole in it. Check around; there should be some paper on it.

BH

Edelweiss air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Edelweiss air »

Not your imagination, MOGAS is more susceptible to carb icing because of its higher volatility. When you refer to the CHT guage, I assume you are reffering to a carb temp guage? A possible suggestion is keeping the carb heat on until halfway through your take-off run...

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Yes, I mean carb temp gage. I thought the winter kit was for winter, not like plus 4C but I will further investigate that suggestion and a kit. Thanks for the input.

bronson
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bronson »

Some versions of the 470 are more prone to icing than others too. \Seems to me the K was the worst, might have been a J, was in a '58 180 anyway . ( anybody remember FITO?)

bronson - you can be in a hurry or you can be in an airplane, but don't ever get into both at once
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

I don't know if mogas has ethanol in it, but if it does, the water content will be much higher, making it more susceptible to icing. Some outfitters have discover EXTREME amounts of water in regular out post gas tanks and are switching to supreme.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

It is my understanding that "supreme" does not have ethanol. Is that a myth? It is the only mogas I use. I try to stay with a mix of supreme / 100LL if possible. Or running 100LL every few tanks if I can. As most know, it is getting more and more difficult to find 100LL in a lot of the remote areas of the north without making prior arrangements (=expensive) Thanks for the comments and I feel are confirming my thinking.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”