Road Trips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Runway37
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Road Trips

Post by Runway37 »

Great info, thanks, guys! And last (but not least), how do bush pilots get paid? Hourly for just showing up at work for 8-16 hours, for flight time only, for both? What is a reasonable pay? Or should one just consider himself fortunate to have a job offer and take whatever they are offered, short of the never-acceptable flying for free gig? And are there usually any benefits, or pay in lieu, or none of that? Thanks again!
---------- ADS -----------

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I have only ever been paid monthly. Accommodations are usually included, sometimes meals. My first job paid $3000 month with room and board. I guess it's up to you to decide if what is offered would work for you. If I was paid $1500 gross, I don't think I could have even made my loan payments on that.

Don't expect many days off, health benefits or overtime pay.

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

Wages for entry level jobs on the dock seem to be around $1800-$3000 paid monthly from what I have gathered through talking with others working in NWO. Accommodations are usually provided, if they aren't; make sure the pay is good as rent can run upwards of $1300 in RL. Some operators provide food on weekends and while on overnights in the bush. Hours will be long, days off will be few and far between. You will learn a lot very quickly from people who have been working the industry a long time. And if you're lucky you will get some time on a 180/185/206 and maybe even get moved up to a pilot position in your first season.

Runway37
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Runway37 »

imac0960 wrote:if you're lucky you will get some time on a 180/185/206 and maybe even get moved up to a pilot position in your first season.
I am under the impression that it IS possible for a newly licensed pilot to get a floatplane job during a road trip. Are you saying it's not very likely, and one has to expect to work the ramp the first season, and hope for a flying job the next season?

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

It's definitely possible. It's kind of a right place right time thing. If you get offered a dock job with a Cessna checkout later in the season, I would take it, as long as it's with a good company.

Runway37
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Runway37 »

Duffman wrote:It's definitely possible. It's kind of a right place right time thing. If you get offered a dock job with a Cessna checkout later in the season, I would take it, as long as it's with a good company.
So that there are fewer tears dropped in the beer, how many applicants vie, on average, for one entry-level flying job, in your estimate?

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

No idea. You have 50 hours floats right? Your chances are very good, but you should be heading out on your road trip any day now. If you want you can PM me and i'll give your names of companies that I know are very good and a few to stay away from.

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

It's absolutely possible to get a flying gig right from the get-go. But some companies want the lower time guys to work the dock and work their way up to a flying go and not all companies fun smaller aircraft. Best of luck! Hope to hear or see you in the skies soon!!

Qfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Qfly »

Been trying to read as much as i can on the topics of finding a job, most of them have been answered already, but one remains kind of vague.
I realize float applications are a mid-april to early june thing, but what about wheel based operators (for a 200 hour wonder)?

Any particularly good time of year to go on a road trip for wheel based operations? Or should I just saddle up and move out whenever Im ready?

Im kind of assuming right now that because I cant really find information on it, that its a year round thing. If Im going to be waiting around for 9 months Im going to be kind of disappointed. :(
Also wondering because my MIFR expires soon and I would like to update that just before going on my road trip

PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

Qfly wrote:Been trying to read as much as i can on the topics of finding a job, most of them have been answered already, but one remains kind of vague.
I realize float applications are a mid-april to early june thing, but what about wheel based operators (for a 200 hour wonder)?

Any particularly good time of year to go on a road trip for wheel based operations? Or should I just saddle up and move out whenever Im ready?

Im kind of assuming right now that because I cant really find information on it, that its a year round thing. If Im going to be waiting around for 9 months Im going to be kind of disappointed. :(
Also wondering because my MIFR expires soon and I would like to update that just before going on my road trip
Take it with a grain of salt from another 200-hour wonder (still flying the glorious desk!), but, from my reading and in personal experience, the good time for wheel jobs' trip is around April-May. I went on mine late May, and, from talking to everybody from pilots to CPs and Ops Managers, basically everybody hired all the direct-entry "junior pilot" jobs by mid-May. That said, one operator hired a guy literally a day before I showed up (I'm pretty sure awitzke from this board snapped that job), so there are jobs out there. The rest of the year is very much a crapshoot of being at the right place at the right time. If you're a gambler, or are naturally lucky, or if you just want a good adventure, there's really no truly "bad" season to do the trip.

Oh, and keep reading this board, there's a fair few road trip threads with different peoples' experiences in here!

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
Kwonnypooh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kwonnypooh »

Hello there guys.
I am new to the float business and I was hoping that you guys can help me.
I got about 500 hrs on light weight A/C and about 30 hrs on constant pitch A/C. I will be getting a float rating this winter ( please let me know if you know any good float schools in BC). I have been working as an AME apprentice for two years. Love the AME work also the main reasons why I want to be a float pilot (seasonal work ).
I would be more than great-full that if you guys can help me out with some tips for me.
If possible, would you be kind enough PM me with a list of operators in Bc that I should stay away from.

Last edited by Kwonnypooh on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Dave Budd at Ocean Air in Victoria http://oceanair.ca
Randy Hanna at Pacific Seaplanes in Nanaimo http://www.pacificseaplanes.biz/index.htm
Fort Langley Air http://www.fortlangleyair.com

off the top of my head...

Have Fun!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Kwonnypooh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kwonnypooh »

North Shore wrote:Dave Budd at Ocean Air in Victoria http://oceanair.ca
Randy Hanna at Pacific Seaplanes in Nanaimo http://www.pacificseaplanes.biz/index.htm
Fort Langley Air http://www.fortlangleyair.com

off the top of my head...

Have Fun!
Thank you north shore.
I will calll them soon.
Once again thank you.
Young

captainhack
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by captainhack »

This has to be the most depressing post I have read on avcanada, but unfortunately, there is truth to this post. Over the past few years in school, they were feeding us BS pipe dreams of flying for the regionals through the cadet programs by now. I get emails from the cadet programs about once every couple months and I usually hit the delete button quicker then I can open the email.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

I wouldn't say it was BS they were feeding you. It was pretty much true until COVID hit..

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is a lottery. You never know when your numbers come up and you get that great job. You won't get it sitting at home, but it won't be easy either. The regionals are, and always have been, extremely picky about who they want, regardless of what people say.

Giovanni20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Giovanni20 »

I am a new guy here. Thanks for the tips.

a_dargs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by a_dargs »

Informative thread, with lots of laughs (and a few cries maybe haha)

Finishing up my 50hr float course out in Victoria and planning to head to Thunder Bay this Spring to do a road trip myself. I trained on a C-180. 260 hours TT. I graduated through the BCIT Commercial Pilot program in Vancouver, but at 42 float flying just appealed more to me. Ideally, I'd love to gain enough experience to get work back here on the coast at some point. Not in it for the money, just something that I look forward to waking up to do that is challenging (thats why I dig the off airport stuff).

My main question is when is the best time to start this road trip? Would early April be the prime time?

My second question is if anybody has been interviewed/hired based off of emailing in their CV and resume alone? I feel like that's a hard no, but I thought I'd check.

Any recommendations for a prime area with a decent concentration of operators would be much appreciated!

I'm loving this community. Reaffirms my risky career change, covid be damned.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

I highly recommend the road trip method. It meets you face to face and builds a rapport with the operator and other employees. If you show up at the right time and are eager and prepared you can show how enthusiastic you are and that goes a long way. I got my first gig dock/180 that way. Next season I was on the beaver full time and stayed several seasons with a great operator in northern Ontario that provided nice accommodation and had weekly dinners/fish frys. As for hotspots to try, Red Lake, Vermillion Bay, Ear Falls or Sioux Lookout have several operators at each place. There are a few within the realm of Thunder Bay (may be an hr or 2 drive from there). A couple on the north east shore area of Superior, White River, Wawa, and Hawk Air. There are less people willing to go to the fringes and do honest work these days so going to those places definitely might pay off. Northern Manitoba has a few operators as well. Bluewater(185), Adventure Air(185), Bolton Lake Lodge(206), Kississing(185/206), ALair in St.Theresa Point(185/cherokee6/DHC2). There's a start anyway. If you have any more questions feel free to DM

Cheers
Papa Bravo

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beaverpuq »

I am seeing a change in the bush world. If indeed you are serious about a career, I think the future looks bright for the guys who are serious about it. There are a lot of folks my age and older who are in the twilight of their days flying Otters. I was very lucky to have different options the last two seasons. If you get with the right operator, the money is very reasonable too. I've been at it a while and I'm already like a kid, anticipating another season. It's worked out very well for me. Good luck to you.!!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”