Road Trips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Road Trips

Post by DanWEC »

Thanks for the offer 180.. still might take you up on that. ;)

But 180 brings up another point. It's a bit of a catch 22 about hitting the road trip while camps are still frozen up. Many operators won't even be at their site. However once the thaw comes they generally have the crews in place. Hm.
My plan has been to head out this Tuesday and I'd like to stick with it. I'm not working now, so why not- but there is also no point in embarking on such an expensive trip if it's not going to be at it's max effectiveness...maybe wait a week?
There are still many operators that go year round though.
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

If you had your heart set on flying floats and understood you were getting yourself into a seasonal situation with slow time building, I'd say it's too early for the road. 

If you have a valid multi-IFR (that's slowly expiring), and think floats would be fun, but not your true end game, then by all means hit the road right now. There's lots of year-round operators who have multi-IFR divisions and float machines who are always looking for good help. You'll probably find yourself in the right seat of something pretty quick, and if you stick around and express an interest in floats, you'll probably score a summer or two on the water eventually if you stuck around for a bit. 

Saskatchewan and the NWTs would be your best bets for larger companies with both divisions.  

Have fun!

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

180 wrote:If you had your heart set on flying floats and understood you were getting yourself into a seasonal situation with slow time building, I'd say it's too early for the road. 

If you have a valid multi-IFR (that's slowly expiring), and think floats would be fun, but not your true end game, then by all means hit the road right now. There's lots of year-round operators who have multi-IFR divisions and float machines who are always looking for good help. You'll probably find yourself in the right seat of something pretty quick, and if you stick around and express an interest in floats, you'll probably score a summer or two on the water eventually if you stuck around for a bit. 

Saskatchewan and the NWTs would be your best bets for larger companies with both divisions.  

Have fun!
Aint that the truth! If you want a ramp/right seat spot.. head out soon.. if You want a float season, call now and head out head out end of april early may (as soon as the words 'break up' are uttered)

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Good advice both.
It's tough at this level to really know what you want to do. It's along the same lines as picking your university degree when you start first year. 90% of people have no idea and half have changed or quit by graduation.

Most of us agree that having a nice high paying job at AC, or even Porter, flying out of a "southern" base is what any CPL in training wants. I've been along this train of thought as well, simply because of the lifestyle, but lately I've been doubting it.

I would love to fly floats every summer for the rest of my life in Northern Ont. I've wanted to since I was a kid, and it's the whole reason I got into aviation. We have a camp just outside of Blind River, Ontario and I spent many summers there watching those guys.
I know that experienced guys are in a bit of a demand, but what do you guys do in the off season? What about spending winters a bit further south?

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Something to always carry in the plane or car is a Zip-lock bag with a nice roll of toilet paper. You never know when nature is going to call. Sometimes she calls fairly firmly. I remember Phillyfan heading into the bush at a fuel cache location in the Territories while pulling off his socks once :rolleyes: I offered him "the roll". I figure I saved him at least $3 :mrgreen:

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Went on a road trip two weeks ago and landed a job a week later. Dressed in black pants, collared shirt, and black shoes. Didn't wear a tie, but looked presentable. I don't subscribe to the whole sleeping in your car philosophy, I got a hotel so I was well rested and showered in the morning, I think that helped keep me alert and presentable for the interview.

Last edited by PostmasterGeneral on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

Anyone thinking of doing a road trip this season? This is the time of year to start the wheels in motion.

I also don't recommend sleeping in your car to save money. A real bed, shower and good rest is very useful when traveling long distances. No point getting killed on your job hunt.

Runway37
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Runway37 »

I am thinking of going on my first ever road trip. The question to the experienced roadies and owners/operators who hire people showing up at the door:

1. When is the latest in the season (late May, early June?) when a new VFR-only CPL on a road trip may reasonably expect to land (ahem) a job?

2. (for owners/operators) Does it ever occur that one of your pilots leaves (for family, health, other reasons) in the middle of the season, and you hired another pilot who showed up at the door, or who left his resume with you?

Thank you in advance.

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

Last season there was an operator looking for a 185 pilot in July. That isn't really typical though.

When to do a road trip is kind of a tough question. Right now everything is frozen and many operators aren't there yet. I would be heading out very soon though. There are always pilots that leave for the reasons you mentioned and others. If you don't get something right away don't get discouraged, keep trying.

dahspeers
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dahspeers »

I literally had my car loaded and ready to go, when I was offered a position I applied for by e-mail. Which was great, but sucked at the same time. I was looking for forward to my road trip.

Runway37
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Runway37 »

dahspeers wrote:I literally had my car loaded and ready to go, when I was offered a position I applied for by e-mail. Which was great, but sucked at the same time. I was looking for forward to my road trip.
Now that's quite something - despite a glut of pilots, people still get a job offer by email.

By the way, a need for a toolbox was mentioned a few times on this thread. What kind of a toolbox is that? Would someone kindly post a link to such a toolbox on CanTire's or Home Depot's site.

Also, does anyone know if, to be hired, it is absolutely necessary to have a CPL (and float) rating sticker in your book, or is it sufficient to have a 3-month handwritten endorsement from your FTU?

Cheers!

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

The temporary license is fine, just make sure you get that sticker in your booklet before the 90 days is up.

No specific kind of toolbox, just something compact that you can fix basic things with. A socket set, adjustable wrench, pliers, cutters, multi screwdriver would be a good start. Plus your leatherman of course. Actually, get 2 leathermans. One good one and one cheap Canadian Tire one. If yours falls in the lake it's nice to have a backup.

Runway37
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Runway37 »

Duffman wrote: No specific kind of toolbox, just something compact that you can fix basic things with. A socket set, adjustable wrench, pliers, cutters, multi screwdriver would be a good start. Plus your leatherman of course. Actually, get 2 leathermans. One good one and one cheap Canadian Tire one. If yours falls in the lake it's nice to have a backup.
Thank you, Duffman. By the way, what kind of repairs is a pilot expected to do? And where does one get a good Leatherman, please?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

You're not expected to do any repairs - it just goes over well with the engineers if, when it comes time to take off the cowling at inspection time, you are ready with a screwdriver to help take the fasteners off, and do some of the grunt work. Over the years I've learned more about how my aeroplanes work by hanging out in the hangar when maintenance is happening..

Another handy thing in your backpack, if you are on floats is a tube of aluminum putty...if you manage, through, bad luck, negligence or ignorance (or a combination of all three! :lol: ) to put a hole in a float, the putty will patch it up so's you can get home. A leatherman would help, in that case, to get the float hatches off so that you could inspect the damage from the inside. [Not that that actually happened to me - I was told about it by a "friend" :oops: ]

Leatherman? Any decent outdoors shop should have a good selection. Try here: http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=Leatherman or http://www.cabelas.com/

I wouldn't buy one mail-order, though..try it out first - I think that they've changed the designs now, but some of the early Leatherman designs had sharpish edges on the plier handles, so when you squeezed hard on them, they dug into your hands quite painfully..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I actually meant that you should have basic tools in case something happens to your car on the trip. Unless you're lucky (or stupid?) enough to have a new car.

North Shore offered good advice though, don't annoy the mechanic trying to work on your plane but offer to help as much as you can. You WILL have to take cowlings off, open float hatches, maybe fix a water rudder cable, etc.

Runway37
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Runway37 »

Great info, thanks, guys! And last (but not least), how do bush pilots get paid? Hourly for just showing up at work for 8-16 hours, for flight time only, for both? What is a reasonable pay? Or should one just consider himself fortunate to have a job offer and take whatever they are offered, short of the never-acceptable flying for free gig? And are there usually any benefits, or pay in lieu, or none of that? Thanks again!

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I have only ever been paid monthly. Accommodations are usually included, sometimes meals. My first job paid $3000 month with room and board. I guess it's up to you to decide if what is offered would work for you. If I was paid $1500 gross, I don't think I could have even made my loan payments on that.

Don't expect many days off, health benefits or overtime pay.

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

Wages for entry level jobs on the dock seem to be around $1800-$3000 paid monthly from what I have gathered through talking with others working in NWO. Accommodations are usually provided, if they aren't; make sure the pay is good as rent can run upwards of $1300 in RL. Some operators provide food on weekends and while on overnights in the bush. Hours will be long, days off will be few and far between. You will learn a lot very quickly from people who have been working the industry a long time. And if you're lucky you will get some time on a 180/185/206 and maybe even get moved up to a pilot position in your first season.

Runway37
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Runway37 »

imac0960 wrote:if you're lucky you will get some time on a 180/185/206 and maybe even get moved up to a pilot position in your first season.
I am under the impression that it IS possible for a newly licensed pilot to get a floatplane job during a road trip. Are you saying it's not very likely, and one has to expect to work the ramp the first season, and hope for a flying job the next season?

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

It's definitely possible. It's kind of a right place right time thing. If you get offered a dock job with a Cessna checkout later in the season, I would take it, as long as it's with a good company.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”