Float Time

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

What float requirements are you coming across? Not looking for dock jobs.

Poll ended at Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:57 am

No votes
19%
25%
25%
more
31%

Total votes: 16

flight27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Float Time

Post by flight27 »

Hey just wondering those out there looking for a job what the requirements are for them to Hire.
Everyone talks about 50-250hrs but I'm looking for some real numbers from the operators. Hopefully I can advise the float endorsement guys what they are looking at to get a job.
---------- ADS -----------

Low and Fast. That's all it takes
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Flight,

It totally depends on who, where and what.

Entry level for Cessna 185's out East is different than out West.

Out East, 200 hours on floats on type seems to be the norm.

Out West, you might squeek into a 185 job with that time if it's all West coast float time.

Out East, Beaver jobs tend to be 500 hours on floats, with 50-100 on type.

Out West, 500 hours on floats on type, and it all has to be West coast float time.

(This doesn't include the few operators left who have open pilot clauses, but we're being general here. Also, there are always exceptions to the rule, like, my uncle owns the airline.)

MUSICMAAN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MUSICMAAN »

A few places I talked to on the west coast wanted 1000 hours on floats!!! It's supply in demand people....with the 3000 some pilots in Canada looking for a job, the companies can have their pick of who they want ( or should I say the insurance companies can pick who they want ) some day when there are less of us looking for work (lol) the requirement's will go down..

pilotbc69
Rank 3
Rank 3

No right answer

Post by pilotbc69 »

Many factors,

BC is looking for 1000 float

Sask and MB can needs 150-200 float

ON needs 100-200 float
and so on and so on.

However...the clause insues if an operator owns a cub or something that flies to outposts for servicing camps and not carting wealthy americans.

Another way to get in under the "minimums" is to do the legendary drive and be in the right place at the right time. It seems that in desperation operators are willing to pay more for insurance and if you are face to face with one who needs a driver you may be in like a dirty shirt. :wink: Of course minimums are only set by what the operator can afford and that varies from season to season. As an instructor it would be valuable to talk to some of the operators around the country and get the word from the horses mouth. My summer job just fell through and I am currently dealing with everyone complaining in my ear about insurance again. :? Hope this helps

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”