Norseman Ski

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Norseman Ski

Post by NWONT »

Totally agree with you Valleyboy. Elliot boards were far superior. They were flexible and bottoms were copper so repairs could be cover with a torch, some acid and solder. They say when the Elliot Bros were working if anyone entered the shop they would throw a tarp over what they were doing so no-body could steal their design secrets.
---------- ADS -----------

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

I have a set of wooden skis with teflon bottoms. They were built by the Saskatchewan Government Airways.in Prince Albert in 1965. They are model 2700's made for a Cessna 180.

AP

Attachments
IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG (118.9 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Those are excellent AP. Never seen nor heard of skis like that for a C180. The one I tried to salvage had fiberglass bottoms with galvanized metal around the edge. Not near as classy as copper on Elliot skis.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

If you happen to have a copy of the book called "Wings Beyond Road's End" on page 122 is a photo of a couple of Cessna 180's with those skis.

AP

DougRonan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DougRonan »

I have a bunch of wood skis - including some that I think are from a Norseman- they are huge!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”