Large -3T load

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Large -3T load

Post by cloudrunner »

We've got 6000 lbs of undercarriage, mainly drive chains for a D5 to move water to water in a Walter -3T.

Just wondering if anyone has any past experience, advice/tips. Something I haven't thought of.

It will be on 3-4 skids in a couple of loads. Have a boat launch in town and a zoomboom available. Have a mud/rock shore and a zoomboom available at the lodge.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Large -3T load

Post by Meatservo »

Well I can think of a couple of issues, first is a skid with 1-2 thousand ponds on it is going to be pretty hard to move around inside the otter. Is there any way you can break the loads down into smaller units? Also, it's none of my business but if you're taking it any great distance 3000lb is a lot for a single Otter on floats. I mean, she'll do it... I don't know what the Walter ones weigh empty though.

The mud/rock shore would be a bit tricky...I suppose I would try to use ropes to turn the aircraft sideways so the zoom boom could drive up to it reasonably close? If you can get the plane turned broadside to shore it'll still be sitting in at least 30 inches of water, if you can drive the zoomboom into the water that far on your particular shore. I guess you could make timber ramps to put from the aircraft's door into shallower water and slide the skids partially down the ramps to where the zoomboom can reach them. It's hard to advise without seeing the particular shore in question.

I had to unload some very heavy equipment one time from an otter so first we flew in a floating dock, then used it as a barge to tie alongside the plane, and run the equipment down ramps onto the floating dock, then floated it to shore.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The best thing to do is wait until winter and go on ski's, it also makes loading and unloading easier.

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudrunner »

Meatservo wrote:I don't know what the Walter ones weigh empty though
4723 lbs on 7170's. stretched +extra floatation.

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudrunner »

Heliian wrote:The best thing to do is wait until winter and go on ski's, it also makes loading and unloading easier.
not if you need to build an airstrip now...

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudrunner »

Here's how we went about it for anyone interested.

We boomed the piece onto a pallet from a Cat loader with forks at the boat launch. We had to curl the "tail of the Scorpion" looking piece in through the door as we pulled it forward since it was too wide all coiled up.

The chain and 8 rollers were on an upside down pallet, on top of 6 sections of steel pipe, on top of 2x6's. We used a small come-along and leap-frogged the pipes forward as we went.

Here's what the load looked like before we chained and roped it in place. We did two loads like this and then the rest of the bits and pieces later. Turned out to be more like 5000lbs total.

Last edited by cloudrunner on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
StudentPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by StudentPilot »

Are there any rules of thumb for how much plywood or diamond plated steel increase the "permissible" floor loading by?
And out of curiosity, what is the maximum floor loading for Beavers and Otters?

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Impressive loading fellas! Makes a drill shack in a twin otter look like kids play. Glad the hardest part for me was clicking the mouse!!

Level@3000
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Level@3000 »

Well done men!! :smt040

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Be careful when using any chain hook that close to the end as it can come loose and hurt something or someone.
The hook tips can shear off under load or unexpected load shift shock loading.

Not all Chicks dig scars

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”